Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12590 Discussions

Configuring TSE & Nichestack

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have Quartus&SBT 11.1, and a board with PHY 83848. 

I cannot bring up the eth interface with simple socket example. SOPC configuration is good (i hope), but i can't initialize the software: 

Your Ethernet MAC address is 00:07:ed:ff:d7:52 

prepped 1 interface, initializing... 

[tse_mac_init] 

Error opening TX SGDMA 

init error -22 on net[0] 

mctest init called 

IP address of : 0.0.0.0 

DHCP timed out, going back to default IP address(es) 

With a (long) debug session, i saw that tse_mac_device[maxnets] global variable is not properly setted. 

How can i add a phy profile?
0 Kudos
39 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It seems to me that some other initialiazion function overwrite the correct settings. I checked the setting done by tse_system_info.h & .c file. 

I've even erased all the contens of tse_system.info.c, with: 

# ifdef ALT_INICHE # include "ipport.h"# endif # include "altera_avalon_tse.h"# include "altera_avalon_tse_system_info.h"# include "system.h" /* use tse_mac_device structure as defined in this file * or * customize tse_mac_device structure using API alt_tse_system_add_sys() and alt_tse_sys_enable_mdio_sharing() */ alt_tse_system_info tse_mac_device = { TSE_SYSTEM_EXT_MEM_NO_SHARED_FIFO(TSE_MAC, 0, SGDMA_TX, SGDMA_RX, TSE_PHY_AUTO_ADDRESS, 0, DESCRIPTOR_MEMORY) };  

but the contents of tse_mac_device still remains uncorrect
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The example should run fine without ANY changes. Probably Your Qsys system is set up wrong. Post a screenshot of the system tree.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is my SOPC config.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Component addresses are wrong, the system is kinda mess...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This isn't a PHY problem. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Error opening TX SGDMA 

--- Quote End ---  

You should look into this first, and check why the driver couldn't open the TX DMA. Could you show a decription of your SOPC system, and you system.h file (especially the defines for the TSE MAC and the DMAs).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, i've reassigned base addresses (thanks socrates!) and now i get: 

INFO : TSE MAC 0 found at address 0x0a013000 WARNING : MAC Groups->pmac_info MDIO is not used, unable to run PHY detection Created "Inet main" task (Prio: 2) Created "clock tick" task (Prio: 3) WARNING : MAC Group - MDIO not enabled! Speed = 100, Duplex = 

I'm not using MDIO
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, i have to modify 

TSE_SYSTEM_EXT_MEM_NO_SHARED_FIFO(TSE_MAC, 0, SGDMA_TX, SGDMA_RX, TSE_PHY_AUTO_ADDRESS, 0, DESCRIPTOR_MEMORY)  

and place a function pointer for configuration. 

But i can see only for marvell phy...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you enable MDIO in the TSE component? You need to enable it in SOPC builder.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

According to this function in altera_avalon_tse.c your PHY is supported natively so all you need is to enable the MDIO interface and it will be recognised and configured/* @Function Description - Add additional PHYs which are not supported by default into PHY profile for PHY detection and auto negotiation * * @API TYPE - Public * @param phy pointer to alt_tse_phy_profile structure describing PHY registers * @return index of PHY added in PHY profile on success, else return ALTERA_TSE_MALLOC_FAILED if memory allocation failed * PHY which are currently supported by default : Marvell 88E1111, Marvell Quad PHY 88E1145, National DP83865, and National DP83848C */ alt_32 alt_tse_phy_add_profile(alt_tse_phy_profile *phy)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have enabled it, but it seems that's not respoding (program stucks at "InterNiche Portable TCP/IP, v3.1 "). 

Is this code correct? 

phy_mdio_io <= mdio_out_from_the_tse_mac when (mdio_oen_from_the_tse_mac = '1') else ('Z');  

Because in http://www.altera.com/literature/ug/ug_ethernet.pdf pag 55 i see a not
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No it should bephy_mdio_io <= mdio_out_from_the_tse_mac when (mdio_oen_from_the_tse_mac = '0') else ('Z'); 

Altera chose a very misleading name. It should have been mdio_oe_n_from_the_tse_mac or mdio_oen_n_from_the_tse_mac to reflect better that it is an active low signal.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok thanks, but another problem appear :( 

If i set DHCP client then it stucks at 

INFO : TSE MAC 0 found at address 0x0a013000 INFO : PHY National DP83848C found at PHY address 0x01 of MAC Group INFO : PHY - Automatically mapped to tse_mac_device INFO : PHY - Restart Auto-Negotiation, checking PHY link... INFO : PHY - Auto-Negotiation PASSED INFO : PHY - Restart Auto-Negotiation, checking PHY link... INFO : PHY - Auto-Negotiation PASSED 

with this loop 

while ( (IORD_ALTERA_AVALON_SGDMA_STATUS(dev->base) & ALTERA_AVALON_SGDMA_STATUS_BUSY_MSK) ); 

whern i disable DHCP: 

INFO : TSE MAC 0 found at address 0x0a013000 INFO : PHY National DP83848C found at PHY address 0x01 of MAC Group INFO : PHY - Automatically mapped to tse_mac_device INFO : PHY - Restart Auto-Negotiation, checking PHY link... INFO : PHY - Auto-Negotiation PASSED INFO : PHY - Restart Auto-Negotiation, checking PHY link... INFO : PHY - Auto-Negotiation PASSED INFO : PHY - Checking link... INFO : PHY - Link established INFO : PHY - Speed = 100, Duplex = Full OK, x=0, CMD_CONFIG=0x01000000 MAC post-initialization: CMD_CONFIG=0x05000203 RX descriptor chain desc (1 depth) created mctest init called IP address of et1 : 192.168.2.37 Created "Inet main" task (Prio: 2) Created "clock tick" task (Prio: 3) Simple Socket Server starting up Simple Socket Server listening on port 30 Created "simple socket server" task (Prio: 4) 

but it didin't response when i tried to connect. 

Wireshark see nothing came from eth.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It looks like the SGDMA is stuck, possibly because its memory mapped master isn't connected to the memory that holds the packet contents. 

If you didn't do any modification to ipport.h then the packet contents buffers are allocated from the heap, and the SGDMA masters must be connected to the memory used for heap.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Mmmh, pratically i'm using only one memory in my design, and is attached to the cpu & sgdmas. All code is placed in this memory (ddr memory)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok then the reason will be more difficult to pinpoint. I suggest to put signaltap probes on all the interfaces around the SGDMAs to try and figure out what it is trying to do when it is stuck. 

Did you connect all 6 SGDMA masters directly to the memory, without pipeline bridges? What frequency are you using for the system clock? Does your design meet timing requirements? 

When I run a design at 100MHz I have a hard time meeting timing requirements with 8 masters (6 from the DMAs, 2 from the Nios) connected to the RAM directly and I have to use 1 or 2 pipeline bridges.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The simple socket server example bundled with Quartus 11.1 refers only to lan91c111 mac, and not TSE MAC. 

May this is the problem?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you really sure? AFAIK support for the lan91c111 was dropped by Altera ages ago. The examples use the Interniche TCP/IP stack, which has a driver for the TSE.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is my new SOPC. 

I'm running at 100 MHz sysclock, cpu is directly connected to TSE at 100 MHz, SGDMAs are connected to DDR throught clock_crossing bridge (from 100MHz to 133 MHz). 

All timings meeted, ddr ram checked with memtest, all ok
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Are you really sure? AFAIK support for the lan91c111 was dropped by Altera ages ago. The examples use the Interniche TCP/IP stack, which has a driver for the TSE. 

--- Quote End ---  

The readme file say: 

DESCRIPTION:  

A Simple Socket Server that controls development board LEDs. 

Requirements: 

-RTOS Type - MicroC/OS-II 

-Software Component - NicheStack TCP/IP Stack - Nios II Edition 

-Period System Timer - SYS_CLK_TIMER 

PERIPHERALS USED: 

This example exercises the following peripherals: 

- Ethernet MAC (named "lan91c111" in SOPC Builder) 

- PIO, 8-bit output (named "led_pio" in SOPC Builder) 

- PIO, 16-bit output (named "seven_seg_pio" in SOPC Builder) 

- STDOUT device (UART or JTAG UART) 

It doesnt' say anything about TSE
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It looks like the readme file is a bit old! But as long as the example uses the Nichestack TFCP/IP stack it doesn't really matter what ethernet MAC is used. You just need a driver for the NicheStack, and the TSE has one. 

From your SOPC screenshot I see that the descriptor read/write masters are going down. Are you using a special memory for the descriptors? In that case IIRC you need to indicate it by using the TSE_SYSTEM_EXT_MEM_NO_SHARED_FIFO variant (and not the INT_MEM), check that the name for the descriptors memory component is correct, and that both the SGDMAs and the Nios data master are connected to that memory. 

Another alternative is to use the TSE_SYSTEM_INT_MEM_NO_SHARED_FIFO variant and connect all the SGDMA descriptor masters to the main RAM instead of a dedicated component. 

If this doesn't help then you really need to see what is going on with SignalTap.
0 Kudos