Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Connection between Stratix III FPGA board and PS over Hyperterminal

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have a question about the connection between the Stratix III FPGA board and Hyperterminal from Windows. How can I communicate about Hyperterminal with the board.  

Why I want to do this? I want to typ in some values which are needed for the C-Code for example a frequency or an amplitude and other values. I also want to start the NIOS II Core by typing in the values through the Hyperterminal and I also want to have the opportunity to read some values out meanwhile the program is running. The reason behind all this thinks is that somebody how doesn't have NIOS II IDE and Quartus II should have the oppertunity to communicate with the board and also to get some info from the board. 

Thanks in advance for the advice!
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm not sure that the Stratix III board has a serial port, so it could be difficult to communicate with it through hyperterminal without an add-on card. Another option would be to connect it to the PC with an Ethernet cable and communicate with it through telnet instead.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Daixiwen, 

what is about the JTAG_UART connection? In the Embedded Peripherals IP User Guide there is a picture "Figure 6–2. Example System Using the JTAG UART Core" that shows that it is possible and why I can't use the JTAG in the same way? 

Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The Jtag Uart works very well, but requires the USB blaster drivers and at least the Nios kit to be installed on the PC. So it doesn't fit with your requirement of having the board work with someone that didn't install the Altera software.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

First of all thanks for your fast reply! 

If I understand it right it is not possible to communicate with the board by using the JTAG UART whithout any software from Altera. And if I want to communicate with the board without a software from Altera I have to do it with the ethernet? 

And what is about the other JTAG interface on the Stratix III FPGA EP3SL150F1152C2 on the buttom side of the board? There is also an "Device Select (J2) Jumper" to choose the JTAG, am I understand it right? 

Thanks in advance for your help!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Daixiwen, 

another question: "Is it possible to emulate the serial connection about the USB?" 

If it is possible than I can communicate with the hyperterminal. 

Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The other Jtag interface is to connect a USB blaster, but here too you will need the Altera software to use it. 

Yes it should be possible to reconfigure the USB port as a serial device, probably by reprogramming the MaxII, but you will loose the integrated USB blaster and will need an external one to program the board. This procedure isn't documented either, so you are on your own. I think it would be easier to set up an Ethernet communication, which is better documented.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your help! 

Now I will try to simulate the serial connection on the PC by intall a driver software which emulate the serial connection with USB. Then I will adjust the UART and try to use it. Can the board communicate over the USB by using the UART? I hope so!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As I said, this won't work unless you reconfigure the MaxII device (and now I'm thinking you will also need to reprogram the EEPROM connected to the USB chip to change what it is advertizing). This isn't an easy task. 

I strongly suggest you go to Ethernet instead, you'll save yourself a lot of trouble.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the help! 

Ok I just thought it would be easier! 

Which kind of the add-on card I need if I want to try it by using an add-on card? 

Thanks for the advice!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There are also 'cables' that convert logic-level serial to usb and connect to a 6 pin header. 

It might be easier to connect one of those to a soift uart. 

Also, it is best to avoid hyperterminal, it will cause you grief. Instead download 'putty'.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There aren't a lot of add-on cards with a serial port available... There is this one for example, but it's quite expensive: http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&no=584 

It could be easier to do as dsl suggests and find a usb to logic cable, and use something like this (http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=67&no=218) to connect it to the FPGA.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Daixiwen, 

thanks for your help!!! 

I will now just try to start the communication with the board in the manner you told me with the JTAG_UART. If I understand you right I need just to connect my board as usual with USB and than I can start a communication over the NIOS II ? 

Sorry for the stupied question but I want be sure to do it corect. 

Thanks in advance for your help!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes. You can either communicate with your application through Eclipse's console, or through the nios2-terminal executable on the command line.

0 Kudos