Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Console auto-closing

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello. 

How can I close console in C-code (finish working jtag uart)? I tired click red square button)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Printing a special character in the end of the program should help. Too bad, I don't remember what character it is :-) I always debug using simple uart plus FT232.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have done this before, but I also forget the character used. Just make a for loop and printf the characters 0x00 -> 0x31. I know one of these will do it. (if you take your time, it shouldn't be hard to figure out which one)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I have done this before, but I also forget the character used. Just make a for loop and printf the characters 0x00 -> 0x31. I know one of these will do it. (if you take your time, it shouldn't be hard to figure out which one) 

--- Quote End ---  

I've added for loop with printf but it doesn't work.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Printing character 0x4 will send the ^D across and terminate nios2-terminal 

Something like this: 

printf("Bye\n %c", 0x4);
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Printing character 0x4 will send the ^D across and terminate nios2-terminal 

Something like this: 

printf("Bye\n %c", 0x4); 

--- Quote End ---  

BadOmen, I've tried printing character 0x4 but it is not work for me. Maybe I should change JTAG UART settings in Qsys? Is any nios2-terminal terminated with 0x4 code?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That should have worked. Try running nios2-terminal from the command line instead. You should be able to download your code and open a terminal running something like the following command line: 

nios2-download -r -g <your .elf file name>; nios2-terminal
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

That should have worked. Try running nios2-terminal from the command line instead. You should be able to download your code and open a terminal running something like the following command line: 

nios2-download -r -g <your .elf file name>; nios2-terminal 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you! It works fine in command line.  

But why it doesn't work using GUI? GUI uses console commands, I think...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The new tools use system console now so I suspect the ^D functionality was omitted. nios-terminal uses the old implementation instead of system console which I suspect is the cause of the functionally differences.

0 Kudos