Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Console auto-closing

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello. 

How can I close console in C-code (finish working jtag uart)? I tired click red square button)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Printing a special character in the end of the program should help. Too bad, I don't remember what character it is :-) I always debug using simple uart plus FT232.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have done this before, but I also forget the character used. Just make a for loop and printf the characters 0x00 -> 0x31. I know one of these will do it. (if you take your time, it shouldn't be hard to figure out which one)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I have done this before, but I also forget the character used. Just make a for loop and printf the characters 0x00 -> 0x31. I know one of these will do it. (if you take your time, it shouldn't be hard to figure out which one) 

--- Quote End ---  

I've added for loop with printf but it doesn't work.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Printing character 0x4 will send the ^D across and terminate nios2-terminal 

Something like this: 

printf("Bye\n %c", 0x4);
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Printing character 0x4 will send the ^D across and terminate nios2-terminal 

Something like this: 

printf("Bye\n %c", 0x4); 

--- Quote End ---  

BadOmen, I've tried printing character 0x4 but it is not work for me. Maybe I should change JTAG UART settings in Qsys? Is any nios2-terminal terminated with 0x4 code?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That should have worked. Try running nios2-terminal from the command line instead. You should be able to download your code and open a terminal running something like the following command line: 

nios2-download -r -g <your .elf file name>; nios2-terminal
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

That should have worked. Try running nios2-terminal from the command line instead. You should be able to download your code and open a terminal running something like the following command line: 

nios2-download -r -g <your .elf file name>; nios2-terminal 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you! It works fine in command line.  

But why it doesn't work using GUI? GUI uses console commands, I think...
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The new tools use system console now so I suspect the ^D functionality was omitted. nios-terminal uses the old implementation instead of system console which I suspect is the cause of the functionally differences.