Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

Controlling HPS pins from FPGA using Cyclone 5

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am trying to blink a LED which is connected to the HPS from a button connected on the FPGA. I have built the Qsys design and Loaned the I/O desired pins to the top level entity, then by setting the loan_io_oe[x] to 1 will let the connection be as an output and could be controlled by the loan_io_out[x], however I get no response. When doing the opposite procedure it works!! by letting a button connected to HPS to control a LED connected to FPGA. 

So what could be the problem here? I have been stuck for days on it. 

Thanks, 

Yazen
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, do you update the preloader on the device? Note that the Pin Mux for the IO is located within the HPS - as such you will need to update the preloader once you set a Loan I/O to the HPS.