Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

Crosscompiling PCAP Application for uClinux

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello all, 

Has anybody succeeded (or tried) to cross-compile a basic pcap application for uClinux? 

AFAIK, it is not already included with uClinux, and needs to be compiled separately, is that also right? 

Thanks, 

Turhan
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

pcap as in libpcap/tcpdump/wireshark? libpcap and tcpdump are included in uClinux-dist. I had to update to the latest versions for it to work though.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you very much for your answer Yuri.  

How did you cross-compile your code then? 

Normally I would compile a pcap appliation# gcc main.c -lpcap 

In order to have it working in uclinux on nios2, I run# nios2-linux-gnu-gcc main.c -lpcap 

and quite reasonably, I get the error: pcap.h No such file or directory. 

Any suggestions?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you're building outside the uClinux-dist tree, you need to provide the directories where the headers and libraries are with -I and -L

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yuri, could you please describe how to compile my own software within the uClinux-dist tree? Everytime I start thinking I am getting literate in Linux, I realize I am far from it. 

Thanks.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Michael =)