Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Cyclone II Ethernet

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everyone, 

I want to interface my cyclone ii fpga with 10/100BASE-TX/FX Tranceiver which performs all of the physical layer interface functions for 10/100Base-T Ethernet. Is it possible to use Triple-Speed Ethernet MegaCore for this purpose? I'm a bit confused by all the documents offered by Altera and I'm not sure if that is possible to achieve. If it is possible, do I need the operating system to run ethernet or not? 

Thanks, 

Nikola
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can connect the TSE to a PHY chip using the MII interface, so check if MII is supported by your transceiver.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've checked, it supports both MII and RMII. But I see that it is not easy to make an interface towards a phy chip on one side, and towards nios on the other side. I'm reading Triple Speed Ethernet User Guide and it says that for User Application (which I suppose is Nios) Avalon-ST is used, and for Management Application Avalon-MM is used. What is actually Management Application? Do I need to use RTOS to run the application using ethernet?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Try to use the Simple socket server example....after a period of studying and test...you will be able to modifying it for your aims....It's not an hard work...trust me ;)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

And be sure to add a MDIO tristate!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the replies. Using Ethernet doesn't seem straightforward at all. Firstly, there are no detailed explanations on how to make it work in SOPC builder and, secondly, I thought that I could avoid MicroC/OS-II but apparently it needs to be used. Simple socket server example is based on it.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So You can use LwIP :)

0 Kudos