cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

Cyclone II Ethernet

Hello everyone, 

I want to interface my cyclone ii fpga with 10/100BASE-TX/FX Tranceiver which performs all of the physical layer interface functions for 10/100Base-T Ethernet. Is it possible to use Triple-Speed Ethernet MegaCore for this purpose? I'm a bit confused by all the documents offered by Altera and I'm not sure if that is possible to achieve. If it is possible, do I need the operating system to run ethernet or not? 

Thanks, 

Nikola
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

You can connect the TSE to a PHY chip using the MII interface, so check if MII is supported by your transceiver.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

I've checked, it supports both MII and RMII. But I see that it is not easy to make an interface towards a phy chip on one side, and towards nios on the other side. I'm reading Triple Speed Ethernet User Guide and it says that for User Application (which I suppose is Nios) Avalon-ST is used, and for Management Application Avalon-MM is used. What is actually Management Application? Do I need to use RTOS to run the application using ethernet?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

Try to use the Simple socket server example....after a period of studying and test...you will be able to modifying it for your aims....It's not an hard work...trust me ;)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

And be sure to add a MDIO tristate!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

Thanks for the replies. Using Ethernet doesn't seem straightforward at all. Firstly, there are no detailed explanations on how to make it work in SOPC builder and, secondly, I thought that I could avoid MicroC/OS-II but apparently it needs to be used. Simple socket server example is based on it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor III

So You can use LwIP :)

0 Kudos