Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Cyclone IV Audio in C/C++

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've got a question about using the Audio codecs. 

I've got the board set up to use audio and have the simple C demo running that purely opens the audio device properly. (Found in an 'Audio.pdf' which I got somewhere from the altera website) 

I'm wondering how I can make it produce a signal / noise when I hit a switch. Sorry if this poorly written, I'm having trouble figuring out what words to use and in what order, and I don't fully understand what I'm doing. 

I'm a beginner at this board, the DE2-115, so I don't really know much about it. I understand that the board has a left and right FIFO which store data to be read by the channels, so my guess is that I have to write some sort of data (frequency to produce a sine wave or something?) to a FIFO, then read it from the FIFO to a channel, then clear the FIFO when I turn the switch off? I'm not concerned about recording as I am only using the Line Out port, I just want to produce a signal at an audible frequency when I turn a switch (say SW[1]) on. I'm not sure how to explain how I set up the clocks, other than that I am using whatever my professor explained to me in class, which is CLOCK_50 for the main CPU, RAM, etc. and CLOCK_27 for the audio and i2c cores. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, links to C tutorials on this topic or example code or something.
0 Kudos
0 Replies