Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12585 Discussions

Cyclone V Baremetal application: Could not Determine Target State

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have a built a system using Qsys and loaded the compiled system into the FPGA. 

On the software side, I'm able to run the example hello world program on the DS-5. 

I built an application, used arm-altera-eabi-gcc compiler and used the cycloneV-dk-ram-hosted.ld linker script to build the program. I have attached the console log. 

I'm not sure of what files generated by qsys is to be included for building the program since the application needs to know about the ip's used in the system. Could anyone please advise me on this issue? 

I'm using a Cyclone V Arrow SoCkit with Quartus 14.1 and DS-5 Altera edition. 

Thanks in advance. 

Best Regards, 

Nitin.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I tried running the Altera example project of altera-socfpga-hardwarelib-fpga-cv-gnu. This same issue repeats for the example project as well. The console messages are as shown: 

Connected to running target Altera - Cyclone V SoC (Dual Core) on TCP:localhost 

source /v "D:\Altera\embedded\ds-5\sw\debugger\configdb\Scripts\altera_target_check.py

No SYSID registers could be found. Has a peripheral description file been supplied? 

cd "C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\DS-5 Workspace\Altera-SoCFPGA-HardwareLib-Timer-CV-GNU" 

Working directory "C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\DS-5 Workspace\Altera-SoCFPGA-HardwareLib-Timer-CV-GNU" 

source /v "C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\DS-5 Workspace\Altera-SoCFPGA-HardwareLib-Timer-CV-GNU\debug-hosted.ds" 

+reset system 

Execution stopped due to a breakpoint or watchpoint: S:0x00000000 

S:0x00000000 LDR pc,[pc,#24] ; [0x20] = 0xA8 

+wait 30s 

+stop 

WARNING(CMD315): Target is not running 

+wait 30s 

+set semihosting enabled false 

+loadfile "$sdir/u-boot-spl.axf" 0x0 

Loaded section .text: S:0xFFFF0000 ~ S:0xFFFF6AA3 (size 0x6AA4) 

Loaded section .rodata: S:0xFFFF6AA4 ~ S:0xFFFF866D (size 0x1BCA) 

Loaded section .data: S:0xFFFF8670 ~ S:0xFFFF9543 (size 0xED4) 

Entry point S:0xFFFF0000 

Target has been reset 

Execution stopped due to a breakpoint or watchpoint: S:0x00000000 

S:0x00000000 LDR pc,[pc,#24] ; [0x20] = 0xA8 

+set semihosting enabled true 

Semihosting server socket created at port 8000 

+delete 

All user breakpoints deleted 

+tbreak spl_boot_device 

Breakpoint 1 at S:0xFFFF13B8 

on file spl.c, line 71 

on file spl.c, line 81 

+run 

Reloading program 

Starting target with image C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\DS-5 Workspace\Altera-SoCFPGA-HardwareLib-Timer-CV-GNU\u-boot-spl.axf 

Running from entry point 

+wait 

The program would get stuck after this wait statement. Please advise if I have missed anything.  

Thanks and Regards, 

Nitin.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Could you load the golden example from rocket board first, at least we able to isolate if your own qsys design is causing some trouble.

0 Kudos