Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12453 Discussions

Cyclone V FPGA to HPS at high frequencies

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi everybody, 

I'm more of a programmer in C/C++, I might need to get started with FPGAs for a university project but it depends if the dev board I checked is applicable for my setup. 

I need to interface a sensor to a PC, I'd prefer to use a standard Gigabit Ethernet interface but as realtime-capability is less needed than reliability I'd rather use TCP than a UDP core running on the FPGA. 

The sensor delivers data at up to 5 MHz, each measurement is 70 bits wide and there is an additional clock signal as a trigger. 

I found the following board by Terasic: http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=165&no=836&partno=2 with a Cyclone V SoC 

It has 72 GPIO pins which would exactly fit my needs. 

My roadmap would be to do the following: 

setup a Linux on the ARM-A9 in the HPC 

use an Avalon MM master to transfer the incoming 70 bits to a ring buffer in memory (as 3 32 bit words) -> 9 MHz frequency 

on the Linux side implement a daemon that checks for the amount of data buffered and send it when the maximum transmission unit for Ethernet is reached. 

Sounds legit, doesn't it? 

Is there any bottlenecks I should take into consideration? Is it realistic to implement a project like this as someone new to FPGA development? 

Best regards
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Sounds about right. If the trigger comes in at a rate of 5MHz then I would use that to capture the samples then make them available through a memory mapped interface connected to the HPS which software can pull the data out. 

The other idea closer to yours would be to send the samples into a DMA engine which then writes them into HPS memory. That approach will have less overhead since the hardware does the heavy lifting. There are a couple of DMA engines you could use for this, I recommend using the modular SGDMA in ST-to-MM mode. That DMA engine is available in 14.0 but if you are using older tools you can grab it here: http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/modular_sgdma You would use that periodic strobe signal to write the 70-bit data into the DMA (use a 128-bit DMA and pad the upper bits) and it would be responsible for writing the 128-bit data into memory. Alternatively you can serialize the data so that you don't have all that wasted memory due to padding but given that 70 bits isn't a nice power of two I don't think it's worth it given all the SDRAM you have connected to the HPS.