Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12436 Discussions

Cyclone V LCD / I2C (baremetal) sample for Altera's SoC DevKit

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi community, 

anybody out there ever programmed the Newhaven LCD on the Altera SoC (Cyclone V) DevKit baremetal

If I didn't miss something Altera's hwlib doesn't provide support for I2C (not to mention support for the LCD). 

As I'm not a linux expert the linux i2c driver isn't very helpfull either. 

If someone could give me a hint where to look for a starting point, that would be really great. 

Thanks a lot for your support!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I want to give you some hints to get it running. 

it's not very difficult to get it running on a baremetal system. You can still use the hwlib. 

There is a headerfile called alt_i2c.h. This file contains a lot of definitions, needed to implement an i2c driver for your application. 

To write something to the LCD you have to do the following steps: 

first step: you need to write an init-function for the i2c interface. here you have to do the following steps: 

1. Disable the i2c controller by clearing the enabled bit in the alt_i2c_en register 

2. set the controller to master mode (register alt_i2c_con_mst_mod

3. set the speed to standard (the newheaven display only supports 100khz clock rate) (register alt_i2c_con_speed

4. enable the i2c controller (set enabled bit in the alt_i2c_en register) 

second step: address the slave 

1. write the address of the slave to the alt_i2c_tar register 

third step: the write function: 

1. to send data you have to set the ALT_i2c_data_cmd_cmd Register to WRITE 

2. write the data to the alt_i2c_data_cmd_dat Register 

Now data will be send on the I2C. If you want to implement a full driver you can also check the status register etc. when you send some data... 

Some hints for the newheaven LCD: 

• Slave address is 0x28 (and not 0x50) 

• between the commands you send, you need a delay (normally 100µs). 

• A full list of special commands for the display you can find in the newheaven specification. (Download it from the newheaven website. The LCD is the NHD-0216K3Z) 

I hope it helps you a bit. 

Regards!