Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Cyclone V SoC doubt

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I will have to program a RISC-V processor and I wanted to know if it's possible to access to ARM Cortex-A9 L1 and L2 caches or if I will have to use FPGA memory as cache. Also, I wanted to know what are the controllers that they provide for memory. 

As I understand having a SoC FPGA allows you to use a high level functionality (with the processor) and also could use real-time operations or data processing using FPGA, am I wrong? 

Thanks you so much.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Joel, 

the A9's L1 & L2 caches can only be accessed/used by the A9. 

Regards
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ericv, 

In that case I will have to use RAM memory as an L1 and L2 caches for my project because ARM Cortex-A9 can't be programmed in VHDL. 

As I understand having a SoC FPGA allow us to use a high computation algorithm in the processor while the FPGA is doing some data processing or controlling real time systems with a high bandwidth between both, am I wrong? 

Thank you, 

Joel
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Ericv, 

In that case I will have to use RAM memory as an L1 and L2 caches for my project because ARM Cortex-A9 can't be programmed in VHDL. 

As I understand having a SoC FPGA allow us to use a high computation algorithm in the processor while the FPGA is doing some data processing or controlling real time systems with a high bandwidth between both, am I wrong? 

Thank you, 

Joel 

--- Quote End ---  

A SOC FPGA is just a hybrid combination of a CPU device and an FPGA device. There have been standalone ARM CPU chips for quite a while, as well as FPGA devices. The SOC (system on chip) basically just merges together a dual core ARM CPU chip and an FPGA (it is actually a lot more complex than that, but if you squint at a block diagram that is what it looks like). 

ARM is the CPU of choice for SOCs (both Intel/Altera and Xilinx) because of the nature of ARM Co's business model of initially supplying design IP to customers rather than silicon devices. ARM also more or less has a lock on 'pure' SOC devices like those from Broadcom (think Raspberry PI) and Qualcomm (think Android smartphones).
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

A SOC FPGA is just a hybrid combination of a CPU device and an FPGA device. There have been standalone ARM CPU chips for quite a while, as well as FPGA devices. The SOC (system on chip) basically just merges together a dual core ARM CPU chip and an FPGA (it is actually a lot more complex than that, but if you squint at a block diagram that is what it looks like). 

ARM is the CPU of choice for SOCs (both Intel/Altera and Xilinx) because of the nature of ARM Co's business model of initially supplying design IP to customers rather than silicon devices. ARM also more or less has a lock on 'pure' SOC devices like those from Broadcom (think Raspberry PI) and Qualcomm (think Android smartphones). 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you so much.