Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

Cyclone V SoC using LTC2978 sensor for voltage monitoring

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I want to monitor voltage levels of power supply rails using LTC2978 sensors available on Cyclone V. 

Does anyone have tried it or have any software for this purpose? I've found linux kernel drivers on github but I am not sure how to use them. 

Thank you,
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, 

I want to monitor voltage levels of power supply rails using LTC2978 sensors available on Cyclone V. 

Does anyone have tried it or have any software for this purpose? I've found linux kernel drivers on github but I am not sure how to use them. 

Thank you, 

--- Quote End ---  

The LTC2978 is a power supply manager that is accessible and controllable via I2C. I've used this device (and others in the family) a lot in the past on various boards. 

Normally one will use the LTC software application LTpowerPlay to configure and program the device, then your higher level software will access registers in the device to check the ongoing status of your power system, and control features like voltage margining, etc.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

nekuss1, 

are you looking for an I2C driver to communicate with the LTC2978? 

Or are you looking for a complete all-in-one package? 

If you are looking for the driver, Altera's SocEDS hwlib includes an I2C driver. 

Also, we offer a free one, fully documented and simpler to use. 

You can request it at 

www.code-time.com 

Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

nekuss1, 

are you looking for an I2C driver to communicate with the LTC2978? 

Or are you looking for a complete all-in-one package? 

If you are looking for the driver, Altera's SocEDS hwlib includes an I2C driver. 

Also, we offer a free one, fully documented and simpler to use. 

You can request it at 

www.code-time.com (http://www.code-time.com

Regards 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi,  

Thanks for the reply, the main goal is to obtain measurements during the runtime without using external adapters since I want to directly send these readings to my applications.  

In SOC EDS files /hwlib/src/hwmgr/ I found alt_i2c.c. Is this the I2C driver you referred to?  

Also, does the all-in-one package you've mentioned runs on a host PC or it can be used on the platform running linux? 

I was following instructions on https://www.altera.com/en_us/pdfs/literature/an/an734.pdf (p. 17-19).  

It suggests to add devices: echo ltc2978 0x5c > /sys/bus/i2c/devices/i2c-0/new_device .  

Then it says  

--- Quote Start ---  

Once the devices are added successfully, files are created in the “sysfs” filesystem for input and output voltages, temperatures and more 

--- Quote End ---  

Does it mean it should automatically generate files for voltages or it has to be created manually?  

Regards
0 Kudos