Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12408 Discussions

Cygheap issue with Nios II tools

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hello everyone, 

I'm facing an error from time to time when I execute nios2-xxx tools or when I start debugging in Nios II Eclipse.  

-> I'm getting a cygwin error as follows: 

0 perl (5284) C:\altera\13.0sp1\quartus\bin\cygwin\bin\perl.exe: *** fatal error - cygheap base mismatch detected - 0x612708D0/0x8208D0. This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the cygwin DLL. Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility and delete all but the most recent version. The most recent version *should* reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have installed the cygwin distribution. Rebooting is also suggested if you are unable to find another cygwin DLL. /cygdrive/c/altera/13.0sp1/nios2eds/bin/sh_pl.sh: line 2: 5372 Segmentation fault PERL5LIB=`cygpath -u "$SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/bin"` perl "${SH_PL:-$0.pl}" $@  

I've already found some posts in the net about this issue related to Win7 64bit, but didn't try them yet since I don't want to ruin my Quartus installation. 

Btw, I have no other cygwin installation on my system. 

Is there any solution to avoid that error and also avoid rebooting the PC? 

Best regards
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello everyone, 

I'm facing an error from time to time when I execute nios2-xxx tools or when I start debugging in Nios II Eclipse.  

-> I'm getting a cygwin error as follows: 

0 perl (5284) C:\altera\13.0sp1\quartus\bin\cygwin\bin\perl.exe: *** fatal error - cygheap base mismatch detected - 0x612708D0/0x8208D0. This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the cygwin DLL. Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility and delete all but the most recent version. The most recent version *should* reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have installed the cygwin distribution. Rebooting is also suggested if you are unable to find another cygwin DLL. /cygdrive/c/altera/13.0sp1/nios2eds/bin/sh_pl.sh: line 2: 5372 Segmentation fault PERL5LIB=`cygpath -u "$SOPC_KIT_NIOS2/bin"` perl "${SH_PL:-$0.pl}" $@  

I've already found some posts in the net about this issue related to Win7 64bit, but didn't try them yet since I don't want to ruin my Quartus installation. 

Btw, I have no other cygwin installation on my system. 

Is there any solution to avoid that error and also avoid rebooting the PC? 

Best regards 

--- Quote End ---  

I have it too... If someone has a solution for it....
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

--- Quote Start ---  

I have it too... If someone has a solution for https://peblueprint.com/bathmate-review the bathmate it.... 

--- Quote End ---  

Those links didn't help zelenkaj. Is there anything else I can dod to get past this error message?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi, 

This error is still reproducible with QuartusII 14.0. 

nios2-elf-g++ -T'.../software/Fw_bsp_app/linker.x' -msys-crt0='.../software/Fw_bsp_app/obj/HAL/src/crt0.o' -msys-lib=hal_bsp -L.../software/liboplkcnapp-hostif -L.../software/Fw_bsp_app -Wl,-Map=Fw_host_app.map -O2 -g -Wall -mhw-div -mhw-mul -mno-hw-mulx -Wall -Wextra -pedantic -std=c99 -DNDEBUG -DCONFIG_CN -DALT_TCIMEM_SIZE=4096 -o Fw_host_app.elf obj/default//.../software/app.o obj/default//.../software/canbus.o obj/default//.../software/event.o obj/default/main.o obj/default/arp.o obj/default/gpio-nios2.o -loplkcnapp-hostif -lm  

nios2-elf-insert Fw_host_app.elf --thread_model hal --cpu_name host_0_cpu_1 --qsys true --simulation_enabled false --id xxxxx --sidp xxxxx --timestamp 1465982303 --stderr_dev host_0_jtag_uart_0 --stdin_dev host_0_jtag_uart_0 --stdout_dev host_0_jtag_uart_0 --sopc_system_name cnDualHostifGpio --quartus_project_dir "board" --jdi .../cn-dual-hostif-gpio.jdi --sopcinfo .../cnDualHostifGpio.sopcinfo 

0 [main] perl (6448) C:\altera\14.0\quartus\bin64\cygwin\bin\perl.exe: *** fatal error - cygheap base mismatch detected - 0x612708D0/0xBA08D0. 

This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the cygwin DLL. 

Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility 

and delete all but the most recent version. The most recent version *should* 

reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have 

installed the cygwin distribution. Rebooting is also suggested if you 

are unable to find another cygwin DLL. 

/cygdrive/c/altera/14.0/nios2eds/bin/sh_pl.sh: line 2: 6916 Segmentation fault PERL5LIB="$(cd "${SOPC_KIT_NIOS2}" 2>/dev/null && pwd 2>/dev/null)/bin" perl "${SH_PL:-$0.pl}" $@ 

Best regards, 

Romain
Rtink
Beginner

Those links didn't help zelenkaj. Is there anything else I can dod to get past this error message?