Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

DDR SDRAM won't fit!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

I am using a cyclone III starter kit, which has the EP3C25F324C6 FPGA on and the zentel A3S56D40ETP-G5 SD-RAM. 

I have (i think) added the DDR ram controller in QSYS correctly (I used the information in the system architect design tutorial, which I appreciate s for the NEEK). 

I then generated the system and all is OK, no warnings and no errors. I then dropped this into a quartus schematic, connected all the IO to the outputs and bidirectionals. I then did analysis and elaboration which went OK but when I try to compile the project i get some nasty erros the chief of which are: 

Error (171000): Can't fit design in device. 

I find this hard to believe as there is nothing else in the system to speak of! 

also I get: 

Error (165024): The DQ group with DQS pin "MEMDQS[1]" has invalid DQ group assignements. 

Error (165024): The DQ group with DQS pin "MEMDQS[0]" has invalid DQ group assignements. 

I am a little puzzled to say the least. 

If someone could shed some light on this for me I would be most grateful. 

D
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

When You generate DDR controller, the core also generates a TCL script. Run it.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Socrates, 

There seem to be quite a lot of TCL scripts generated that are related to the SDRAM, some are in the synthesis/submodules folder and some are in the project folder. Which are you referring to? and what do you mean by run it! 

thanks for taking the time to help. 

D
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

In Quartus: Tools -> TCL Scripts.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Woohoo, it's alive! 

It appears I had two instances of the ALTMEMPHY trying to fit into the FPGA, quite how that happened I don't know but it became apparent when I looked at the TCL file you suggested and saw two lots of differently named tcl scripts. So I rebuilt everything and tried again and it worked. I know have a simple program running from the SDRAM so thank you SOcrates. 

D
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi All, 

I am using a cyclone III starter kit, which has the EP3C25F324C6 FPGA on and the zentel A3S56D40ETP-G5 SD-RAM. 

I have (i think) added the DDR ram controller in QSYS correctly (I used the information in the system architect design tutorial, which I appreciate s for the NEEK). 

I then generated the system and all is OK, no warnings and no errors. I then dropped this into a quartus schematic, connected all the IO to the outputs and bidirectionals. I then did analysis and elaboration which went OK but when I try to compile the project i get some nasty erros the chief of which are: 

Error (171000): Can't fit design in device. 

I find this hard to believe as there is nothing else in the system to speak of! 

also I get: 

Error (165024): The DQ group with DQS pin "MEMDQS[1]" has invalid DQ group assignements. 

Error (165024): The DQ group with DQS pin "MEMDQS[0]" has invalid DQ group assignements. 

I am a little puzzled to say the least. 

If someone could shed some light on this for me I would be most grateful. 

D
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

When You generate DDR controller, the core also generates a TCL script. Run it. 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Socrates,  

I have an issue with fitting DDR SDRAM controller on Cyclone III (3C120). I am building a triple-speed Ethernet module using Qsys as per the altera example http://www.altera.com/support/examples/nios2/exm-tse-sgdma.html?gsa_pos=1&wt.oss_r=1&wt.oss=triple 

speed ethernet 13.1  

When I try to build my project in Quartus II, I see the following errors: 

Error (165011): altmemphy pin placement was unsuccessful 

Error (165024): The DQ group with DQS pin "mem_dqs_to_and_from_the_ddr2_bot[0]" has invalid DQ group assignments 

Error (171000): Can't fit design in device 

Prior to compiling my design, I had run the TCL script, generated by the Qsys. But still, the fitting error persists.  

And, I do not see multiple instance of any design component in my top module. Also, I've a query regarding any modification that is required  

to the TCL script, before I run it? 

Thank you very much.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I was able to fix this issue by modifying the pin assignments. (ex: mem_dqs_to_and_from_the_ddr2_bot[0] set to SSTL-18 class I (as suggested in the flow messages )) and by back annotating the pin assignments made during the compilation phase.