Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

DDR_afi_clk to PLL input ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello,  

My scenario: 

I've a project with a DDR2 SDRAM controller, this controller gives me two clocks : 

.ddr2.afi_clk = 200 Mhz and .ddr2.afi_half_clk = 100 Mhz,  

I use the afi_half_clock for some blocks on my SOPC but I need others slower clocks to 

other blocks. I've tried to connect the afi_half_clk to the input of other PLL but i get this error from Quartus: 

" must be driven by a non-inverted input pin or another PLL, optionally through a Clock Control block" 

I also tried to use the Global_clock_control_block with the input been the alf_half_clock and the out put to the PLL. 

Questions: 

[LIST] 

Do I need to use the afi clock when I use the SDRAM memory controller? 

[/LIST] 

[LIST] 

How do I use the afi clock on the Input of a PLL block to all clocks be synchronous ? 

[/LIST] 

[LIST] 

Can I use Avalon Memory clock corssing bridge with no synchronized clocks ? 

[/LIST] 

Thanks, 

Rafael C.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

[LIST] 

Do I need to use the afi clock when I use the SDRAM memory controller? 

[/LIST] 

Rafael C. 

--- Quote End ---  

I'm not 100% sure about this one, but as the AFI (Altera PHY Interface) is provided to make it easier to interface with external memory, I would say that yes, you do need to use it. I'm assuming that by bundling it all up Altera relieves you of having to define all the tricky timing settings. 

--- Quote Start ---  

[LIST] 

How do I use the afi clock on the Input of a PLL block to all clocks be synchronous ? 

[/LIST] 

Rafael C. 

--- Quote End ---  

I have found PLLs and clock control modules to be a real headache, as often you are only allowed to connect certain inputs with certain outputs. By the looks of it afi_half_clk is inverted - is it possible to export the non-inverted one? 

--- Quote Start ---  

[LIST] 

Can I use Avalon Memory clock corssing bridge with no synchronized clocks ? 

[/LIST] 

Rafael C. 

--- Quote End ---  

The clocks of clock crossing bridges do not need to be synchronised.