Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

DDR_afi_clk to PLL input ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello,  

My scenario: 

I've a project with a DDR2 SDRAM controller, this controller gives me two clocks : 

.ddr2.afi_clk = 200 Mhz and .ddr2.afi_half_clk = 100 Mhz,  

I use the afi_half_clock for some blocks on my SOPC but I need others slower clocks to 

other blocks. I've tried to connect the afi_half_clk to the input of other PLL but i get this error from Quartus: 

" must be driven by a non-inverted input pin or another PLL, optionally through a Clock Control block" 

I also tried to use the Global_clock_control_block with the input been the alf_half_clock and the out put to the PLL. 

Questions: 

[LIST] 

Do I need to use the afi clock when I use the SDRAM memory controller? 

[/LIST] 

[LIST] 

How do I use the afi clock on the Input of a PLL block to all clocks be synchronous ? 

[/LIST] 

[LIST] 

Can I use Avalon Memory clock corssing bridge with no synchronized clocks ? 

[/LIST] 

Thanks, 

Rafael C.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

[LIST] 

Do I need to use the afi clock when I use the SDRAM memory controller? 

[/LIST] 

Rafael C. 

--- Quote End ---  

I'm not 100% sure about this one, but as the AFI (Altera PHY Interface) is provided to make it easier to interface with external memory, I would say that yes, you do need to use it. I'm assuming that by bundling it all up Altera relieves you of having to define all the tricky timing settings. 

--- Quote Start ---  

[LIST] 

How do I use the afi clock on the Input of a PLL block to all clocks be synchronous ? 

[/LIST] 

Rafael C. 

--- Quote End ---  

I have found PLLs and clock control modules to be a real headache, as often you are only allowed to connect certain inputs with certain outputs. By the looks of it afi_half_clk is inverted - is it possible to export the non-inverted one? 

--- Quote Start ---  

[LIST] 

Can I use Avalon Memory clock corssing bridge with no synchronized clocks ? 

[/LIST] 

Rafael C. 

--- Quote End ---  

The clocks of clock crossing bridges do not need to be synchronised.
0 Kudos