Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12408 Discussions

DDR3 without leveling clock length

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Hi everyone, 

I'm developing a board with a CycloneV and a DDR3 chip drive by the HPS memory controller. CycloneV does not support write leveling. I'm currently struggling to know exactly what rules I should be following for the routing. 

On this document (https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/hb/external-memory/emi_pl...)(Table 4-9) it's stated that the clock length should be between Byte_lane_length and Byte_lane_length + 100mil. 

I saw in other documents various rules for clock routing (up to 1000mil tolerance). I don't know which one to follow in my particular case.  

Does anyone have a clear rule for clock length matching in the case of DDR3 without write leveling ? 

Thanks! 

marguedas
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

For each byte lane I routed it with DQS / DM a bit longer than DQ. 

And pretty much matched the lengths of the ck p/n to the CA lines. 

Seems to work, tests show plenty of margin. 

I have 4 16bit wide chips hooked up to the HPS DDR3, using a T topology for CA. 

The dual data are in a back to back arrangement with address mirroring. 

And 1 16bit wide DDR3 chip connected to the FPGA fabric which is point to point.