Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

DE0 downloading zImage fails

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I'm trying to get uClinux up and running on a DE0-nano board. 

My dev-environment is ubunutu 10.10. 

I downloaded all uClinux sources and compiled a zImage depending on  

description in altera wiki "Install NIOS II Linux" (including downgrading of gcc to 4.2...) 

After configuring the DE0 boerd with the *.sof I'm always failing in downloading the zImage to the board 

with the following message: 

h-i686-mingw32\bin\nios2-elf-objcopy.exe:zimage: file format not recognized 

zimage.srec: unable to open input file 

rm: cannot remove 'zimage.srec': no such file or directory 

Has anyone please a hint how to solve this problem ... ? 

----------- 

EDIT: 

Meanwhile I found a reference project for the DE0-Nano. With this precompiled files .sof and zImage everythings working perfect. I can flash (from within nios2-command shell of windows! the linux version is not working) the sof and after that I'm downloading the zImage => the nios2-terminal shows me the booting linux and gives me the command shell... 

But I still can't get my own compiled zImage to run :(  

None of the zImages I made can't be extracted to srec-Format. 

What configuration option is here missing / Where can I configure the srec format in uClinux-dist? 

----------- 

EDIT 2: 

:) 

Finally I found the problem:  

I transfered the zImage to my Windows (so that i can use the nio2-command-shell tools) 

using FTP and this destroyed my image. After switching the transfer mode AGAIN back to binary mode, the transfer is OK.  

It's curious because I have changed the transfer mode to binary long time ago when I compiled some other uClinux projects with my machine... 

thx
0 Kudos
0 Replies