Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

DE1-SoC MSEL [00000] or [01110] Unable to program FPGA from HPS

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello together, 

I'm just getting started with my DE1-SoC, and I seem to be unable to program the FPGA from Linux w/ frame buffer or LXDE/UBUNTU. I have set the correct MSEL[4:0]. 

root@socfpga:~# ERROR: Incompatible MSEL mode set. Cannot continue with FPGA programming. 

If I program the FPGA from Linux w/o frame buffer (01010), it works fine just as configuring from EPCS (10010). 

Am I missing anything, or is there a way to test where the problem is? 

Thanks,
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello together, 

I'm just getting started with my DE1-SoC, and I seem to be unable to program the FPGA from Linux w/ frame buffer or LXDE/UBUNTU. I have set the correct MSEL[4:0]. 

root@socfpga:~# ERROR: Incompatible MSEL mode set. Cannot continue with FPGA programming. 

If I program the FPGA from Linux w/o frame buffer (01010), it works fine just as configuring from EPCS (10010). 

Am I missing anything, or is there a way to test where the problem is? 

Thanks, 

--- Quote End ---  

you may try with MSEL[0:4] is 01010.hope it will work.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi vinaysrivastava, thanks for having a look. MSEL[0:4] 01010 only works for Linux without frame buffer (the linux_SD image), not LXDE or Ubuntu. If I use the previously mentioned MSEL I don't have a framebuffer.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi!... There is a difference between generate rbf with compression or without. If you use compression MSEL need set MSEL[0:4] 01010 without MSEL[0:4] 00000 I test this with de1-soc and linux frame buffer with ubuntu in a sd. I need help with the tree. I have to generate manually my ip's created with qsys and I don't know how. Thanks!

JMuno5
Beginner

MSEL[0:4] = 00000 worked for me, thank you!

0 Kudos