Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12409 Discussions

DE1-SoC MSEL [00000] or [01110] Unable to program FPGA from HPS

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello together, 

I'm just getting started with my DE1-SoC, and I seem to be unable to program the FPGA from Linux w/ frame buffer or LXDE/UBUNTU. I have set the correct MSEL[4:0]. 

root@socfpga:~# ERROR: Incompatible MSEL mode set. Cannot continue with FPGA programming. 

If I program the FPGA from Linux w/o frame buffer (01010), it works fine just as configuring from EPCS (10010). 

Am I missing anything, or is there a way to test where the problem is? 

Thanks,
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello together, 

I'm just getting started with my DE1-SoC, and I seem to be unable to program the FPGA from Linux w/ frame buffer or LXDE/UBUNTU. I have set the correct MSEL[4:0]. 

root@socfpga:~# ERROR: Incompatible MSEL mode set. Cannot continue with FPGA programming. 

If I program the FPGA from Linux w/o frame buffer (01010), it works fine just as configuring from EPCS (10010). 

Am I missing anything, or is there a way to test where the problem is? 

Thanks, 

--- Quote End ---  

you may try with MSEL[0:4] is 01010.hope it will work.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi vinaysrivastava, thanks for having a look. MSEL[0:4] 01010 only works for Linux without frame buffer (the linux_SD image), not LXDE or Ubuntu. If I use the previously mentioned MSEL I don't have a framebuffer.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi!... There is a difference between generate rbf with compression or without. If you use compression MSEL need set MSEL[0:4] 01010 without MSEL[0:4] 00000 I test this with de1-soc and linux frame buffer with ubuntu in a sd. I need help with the tree. I have to generate manually my ip's created with qsys and I don't know how. Thanks!

JMuno5
Beginner

MSEL[0:4] = 00000 worked for me, thank you!