Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12436 Discussions

DE1-SoC board: which defconfig, .dtb file, and sources shall I use best?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have Terasic's DE1-SoC board and currently play around with the provided SD-card image, a self compiled kernel, my module and an FPGA .rbf which I would like to flash from the linux running on the SD card.  

My situation is the following, with the correct MSEL setting (00000) and the default SD-card image, I can dd the .rbf to /dev/fpga0 and the FPGA works correction i.e. some LEDs start to blink. Since I like to play with my own written kernel drivers, instead of the provided 3.12.0 zImage, I compile a 3.17 zImage. After trying several sources, among others rocketboards sources for the sockit board - the mainline kernel.org's worked best. I simply exchanged the zImage on the SD-card partition. When trying to build the .dtb my first question poped up: when doing "make dtbs" I can see socdk.dtb, sockit.dtb and the socrates.dtb being build as socfpga_cyclone5_xxx.dtb files. By playing around I ended up with the sockit.dtb. Now I have still the problem, that with such kernel, I can't do dd to /dev/fpga0 anymore, it simply does not blink as it should. 

Questions:  

1) is there a defconfig for the de1-soc board from terasic, or is socfpga_defconfig the correct one? 

2) I have some doubts about the usage of the correct device tree, which .dtb to use? Is there a terasic .dtb file somewhere? Or even may I best use the original socfpga.dtb from the sdcard and simply just exchange the zImage (I don't wan't to mess around with device trees actually)? 

3) how can I get a self compiled kernel to run which allows for flashing the fpga .rbf file, it seems in my kernels, there isn't even a /sys/class/fpga-stuff... menu available, which .config option shall I look at when menu-configuring it? 

Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi FAB, 

I have the same problem. Did you find a solution?  

Thanks