Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

DE2-70 board Nios II USB problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I got the error when i tried to run my C code in Nios IDE environment with Altera DE2-70 board.  

My project is very simple (control the LEDs by the switches), everything seems fine, until I tried to run C code in Nios IDE  

Here is my error log  

>>Using cable "USB-Blaster [USB-0]", device 1, instance 0x00  

>>Pausing target processor: not responding.  

>>Resetting and trying again: FAILED  

>>Leaving target processor paused  

Please help me with this!  

Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This error is very common, one thing could be the reset_n of the processor, check if this signal is connected to VCC. If this doesn't work, try connectting the module Reset_delay to Reset_n from one of the examples shipped with the board. That work for me.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

This error is very common, one thing could be the reset_n of the processor, check if this signal is connected to VCC. If this doesn't work, try connectting the module Reset_delay to Reset_n from one of the examples shipped with the board. That work for me. 

--- Quote End ---  

I have reset_n connected to VCC, can you show me how to do connect Reset_delay to Reset_n. 

Thanks so much!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

See the DE2_70_NIOS_HOST_MOUSE_VGA example, there it's the connection of reset_n to reset delay.  

A question: NIOS II IDE works with other examples like the one mentioned above? Just to make sure the NIOS II IDE is working.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

See the DE2_70_NIOS_HOST_MOUSE_VGA example, there it's the connection of reset_n to reset delay.  

A question: NIOS II IDE works with other examples like the one mentioned above? Just to make sure the NIOS II IDE is working. 

--- Quote End ---  

I found the problem, and fixed it. The tutorial comes with the DE-70 board kit is not correct, the tutorial is old version for DE2-60 board. So as long as I followed the tutorial I will get wrong result and problem.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Glad you made it, could u mention what was the problem so I know in case happens the same to me in some other time?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Because the tutorial with incorrect the pin name variable, so we have to change it to correct one. For example, CLOCK_50 signal in tutorial should be iCLK_50, and so one. You could look at the DE2_70_pin assignment file, and you will find the correct pin name. FYI the user manual also wrong with the pin name

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the info!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

Can you show me how to connect reset_n to VCC? 

Thank a lot
0 Kudos