Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12437 Discussions

DE2: Control Panel application for Linux

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello! 

I am trying to build a random-number generator, but I want to check the output values to see their distribution. I intend to write the random-numbers to the SRAM on board the DE2 board and view the contents using the Control Panel application. The catch is that I am using Linux. 

Is there a Linux distribution of the Control Panel application for DE2 boards? 

Is there any other way to view the on-board SDRAM/SRAM contents? 

Thank you
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

As far as I know, there is no support for Linux with the pre-made GUIs. You can however use System Console to access your own custom logic, eg., 

http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/using_the_usb-blaster_as_an_sopc/qsys_avalon-mm_master_tutorial 

Here's some random number generator documentation/code using LFSRs/PRBSs, 

http://www.ovro.caltech.edu/~dwh/correlator/pdf/lfsr_tutorial.pdf 

http://www.ovro.caltech.edu/~dwh/correlator/pdf/lfsr_tutorial_src.zip 

How are you generating random numbers? And for what purpose? 

Cheers, 

Dave
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you Dave! 

I am from an ASIC design background, trying to cosy with FPGAs. 

I am trying to generate Gaussian samples starting with Tauseworthe Random Number Generators. I might dabble in hash functions later on too. 

I wanted to respond earlier, but the site seemed down - your response let me concentrate on other things without trying too hard to get Control Panel work on Linux using wine etc, and wasting a lot of time. 

Thank you, 

Anand
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I am trying to generate Gaussian samples starting with Tauseworthe Random Number Generators. 

--- Quote End ---  

Do you have references on this method? The few Google hits I looked at just showed LFSRs, which would not give you Gaussian noise, and if you've reviewed the link to the LFSRs tutorial, you'll see that you can get Gaussian-like noise, but its not really Gaussian (unless you sum enough uniform distros together so that the central-limit theorem works well). 

--- Quote Start ---  

I wanted to respond earlier, but the site seemed down - your response let me concentrate on other things without trying too hard to get Control Panel work on Linux using wine etc, and wasting a lot of time. 

--- Quote End ---  

Don't waste your time working with any of the closed-source applications provided with the evaluation boards. 

Cheers, 

Dave
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is a really late reply, sorry for that. I missed the e-mail from altera. 

The reference I used was: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.97.9309&rep=rep1&type=pdf 

It takes the LFSR output and uses a Box-Muller transform on that involving sine,cos,log,sqrt etc to get a Gaussian Distribution. It looks like a very good candidate for FPGA implementation as you can get all these function implemented in a single cycle and throw in multiple parallel implementations to get a large number of samples per second. 

I did complete the coding and did some signal-taps using the Quartus software to sort of check what I got out of the design. The data looks roughly gaussian (didn't do any histogram checks - just judged that the samples had a large number of small values, and a small number of large values) - but I haven't had a chance to quantify it entirely, and a couple of things I saw tells me it's not quite right. The project is shelved for now, hoping to come back later to it. 

Yeah I stopped looking at terasic software. I just couldn't get anywhere with it. Maybe if I had gotten to your response earlier, I would have decided even earlier to not go on the wild goose cha 

Thanks Dave, 

Anand