Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

DE2 Ethernet with Modes

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Inspired by btxsistemas' (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3947&highlight=de2+ethernet) example I have modified it to have a variety of modes. Firstly it can do either hardware random number generation by GPIB or via software with the rand() function. Via the pushbuttons you can increase speed, decrease speed, or change modes. It also displays the current mode on the LCD display as well as the total bytes sent on the 7 Segment Display. If you want to increase the speed of the program you should remove unwanted modes (and I'm sure my code for picking modes is not efficient and I have a bunch of# includes which aren't needed). I would love any tips on how to improve it or am happy to help anyone with using the code. 

My next project is to move this to the DE2-115. I'm sure that I need to use the sendto function but I'm not sure entirely on how to do it, if anyone can help with that I would be very grateful.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi, can I ask you if, modifying the BTXSistemas' example, you also added the receiving part (PC -> FPGA)? I remember that this was the biggest problem of his project. I'm preparing a thesis project that involves mostly transmission from PC to FPGA, so this would be a real blessing :)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Unfortunately not. Take a look at the example that comes with the DE2, it does read from the PC using ReceivePacket but beyond that I'm not sure how it works sorry. You might want to look at this thread for some help: 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4832&highlight=receivepacket
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thank you very much for your help!

0 Kudos