Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

DS-5 Connection Browser fails after updating to SoC EDS 15.0.1

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Since updating to SoC EDS 15.0.1, I am no longer able to connect to my SoCKit over USB. In DS-5 (Eclipse), here is what I am doing: 

1. Run > Debug Configurations 

2. Under DS-5 Debugger on the left, choose "Altera-Cyclone-V-(Single_Core)_RAM 

3. On the Connection tab, choose Altera > Cyclone V SoC (Single Core) > Bare Metal Debug > Debug Cortex-A9_0 

4. Target Connection = USB-Blaster 

5. Under Connections, click Browse. 

Connection Browser says "The script file (device_browser.py) failed during execution. 

As far as I remember, Device Manager looks just like it did when I had this working. 

In Device Manager, under JTAG cables, it shows the following:Altera USB-Blaster II (JTAG interface) 

Altera USB-Blaster II (System Console interface) 

Under Ports (COM & LPT), it shows:Communications Port (COM1) 

USB Serial Port (COM3) 

I have tried disabling the drivers then enabling, uninstalling the drivers then re-installing, powering the board on and off, restarting Eclipse. 

Any suggestions appreciated. 

Thanks 

Ron
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Using “Debug Hardware Firmware Installer” view, I found another way to open the Connection Browser and it does not show any devices (should show SoCkit), so I don’t believe there is any problem with the script file. I also tried restarting the PC. 

Ron 

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=11060
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is anyone else having trouble connecting a dev board to DS-5 Altera Edition (or not AE) version 5.20.2 or so, when the board connections appear OK in Device Manager? Is it just me?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I noticed that is you hover over the message "The script file (device_browser.py) failed during execution, another message pops up: "The script file (device_browser.py) failed during execution: 

Error: Failed to load client llibrary jtag_client.dll. Please ensure that the environment variable QUARTUS_ROOTDIR is set to the path to the Altera Quartus tools installation." I then noticed that this environment variable was set incorrectly. I corrected it, but that did not solve my problem.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i think you may accidentally mess up the path environment in the DS-5 project options.. maybe a fresh reinstall will helps.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My connection problem went away. It was not clear to me what happened to fix it. It may have been some jumper settings on my SoCkit.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i do not think the jumper that causing this issue. Is a file accessing error.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

is the problem still happening?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

is the problem still happening? 

--- Quote End ---  

If you are asking me, no. Don't know what fixed it unless it was some jumper settings on my SoCkit.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the problem seems to be related with glibc incompatibility. 

look for errors when starting ds-5 in commandline. 

following this http://gilleslasnier.com/blog/2016/09/10/altera-quartus-15_1-failed-to-load-libraries/ resolves this
0 Kudos