Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

Design support:Video from SBSram to LCD

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Everyone, 

I am new to designing system with SOPC builder and got confused on a part of the design.  

In the design, I am using two SRAMs(16bit X 1Mwords) and I am using AVALON Tri-State Master to read from and write to them. One end of the tri-state master is an avalon MM slave which is connected to the AVALON bus which includes my NIOS II Controller.  

What I want to do is to read the video data from one of the SRAMs while NIOS II is writing the next frame to the other SRAM, so that I can implement a video buffer. 

The video data is not raw pixels in the SRAM. I encoded the video so that 1 word(16 bit) of the SRAM holds 4 pixels of data which should be decoded to the real pixel value(there are 32 possible pixel values which are encoded to 4 bits) by using an interal memory. 

My video format is 640*480(25.175MHz). I am using the CPU and SRAM controller in 100Mhz.  

What would be the best solution to read from SRAM -> Decode the pixels -> send to the LCD with correct timing. Should I implement a custom Avalon Mm master or the blocks from the IP library will work? 

Thank you in advance
0 Kudos
0 Replies