Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Develpoing project using ARM-DS5

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am using Altera Cyclone V. I had planned to develop a project using ARM-DS5 studio.  

I had done projects purely for Micro-controller(Not FPGA related). I am new to FPGA related controllers. It will be much helpful if I get some basic guidelines for developing the basic project for Cyclone V SX SoC—5CSXFC6D6F31C6N (SoC) using ARM-DS5 IDE. 

I has some queries,, 

1. Whether we can develop the C-code like Embedded programming. (i.e for Microcontroller we may add the register definition files and change the registers bits of controller, compile the code and program the code using the flash programmer).  

Whether we can do the same for Altera Cyclone V controllers using ARM-DS5.?? 

2. Please guide me to get the register definition file for "Cyclone V SX SoC—5CSXFC6D6F31C6N (SoC)" and their respective linker files. 

3. It will be helpful if I get any sample project(LED blinking or UART transmission) developed using ARM-DS5 studio.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

1. You can use ethernet to debug your applications on ARM. I advice you to use Linux on top of Arm. Baremetal development is not so easy. 

2. Check HPS Technical Manual 

3. UART = printf on Linux on systems like DE1-SOC, check for your system
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Thanks for your suggestion, 

In manual they had mentioned that we can program the flash memory using quatrus_HPS.exe. 

1. Whether this quatrus_hps.exe program the HPS system.?? 

2. The HPS sytem has 2 memory Onchip RAM and BootROM.  

May I know which memory it will program? I thnik that we can't write the BootROM of HPS system. 

So could you please guide what type of memory the HPS.exe will program??
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

agreed that bare metal is not so easy, but at least there is a lot of document and working example to start off, as you also using Cyclone V, 

maybe can refer to some of the work here at http://rocketboards.org/
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

See my posts here. This is for Altera/Arrow/terasic SoCkit board with Cyclone V, but hopefully it will be similar for you. 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43877&page=2
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

can try to study some examples at C:\altera\14.1\embedded\examples\software, detail usage in the txt file n each folder and step by step tutorial from soceds guide pdf

0 Kudos