Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Device driver support in uClinux

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi. I am new to uClinux, and planning to port this OS into Nios II on DE4 board.  

Please help on my queries below: 

(1) Can those device drivers supported in standard Linux OS work seamlessly in uClinux? Can we port the drivers into uClinux? 

(2) What are the differences between a standard Linux OS and uClinux? I know that virtual memory is not supported in uClinux, but is there any other differences compare to a standard Linux (the least we should know before using uClinux)? 

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

(1) Can those device drivers supported in standard Linux OS work seamlessly in uClinux?  

(2) What are the differences between a standard Linux OS and uClinux? I know that virtual memory is not supported in uClinux, but is there any other differences compare to a standard Linux (the least we should know before using uClinux)? 

--- Quote End ---  

Okay I think I've found the answer for my 2nd question at this link: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7221 (http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7221

Can anyone help me on my 1st question?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

uClinux has seen a huge increase in popularity 

--- Quote End ---  

I don't see it this way.  

IMHO due to the decrease in hardware price (processor power and RAM) embedded projects increasingly are done with "full" Linux. This does need much more RAM and maybe a little more processing power, but developing application is much easier and safer.  

This is why since some time the full Linux tree for NIOS Linux is supported.  

-Michael
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I agree with Michael on this one. And if "seamless" device driver integration is a priority, I think you will be more happy with the full linux distribution.

0 Kudos