Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12452 Discussions

Difference between reset vector and exception vector

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am a beginer! so i don't understand about between two vectors! 

Can you show me the difference between two vectors?:(
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Exception is something which will cause your processor to skip the normal operation (i.e. it'll stop in its tracks) and jump to a pre fixed location in memory. For instance resetting some of the ARM cores will cause a 'jump' to 0x0 or to 0xFFFF0000 (depending on a setting).  

So there you see, reset is just another exception albiet an important one as it is used to start from a known state (although there is not much that is available at this state and basically a lot of set up like things have to be done here).  

The reason it is called a vector is because it has a certain direction. From your high school physics you may be remember that a vector is always directional and since these exceptions (including the reset) takes the program counter (in effect the processor) to a certain location in memory (hence in a certain direction) they are called vectors.