Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12599 Discussions

Difficulty Encounted for Implementing A Simple FPGA Design

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

We have DE0 (Developement and Education) board and we have a supporting software along with the Board. 

While we are implementing the its my first FPGA Project as per the guide lines given in the pdf given by ALTERA, pin assignment is not matching the pin details as mentioned in the document and we are unable to compile the project. 

Kindly provide the guidelines for resolving the problem. 

Thanks & Regards 

M.Murali Krishna
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can you provide more details? 

PS: In the CD that accompanies the board, there should be some example projects, which should have correct pin assignments.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am learning FPGA through online training from ALTERS 

As a part of on line training i tried to implement the "How to Begin a simple FPGA Design". 

I followed the procedure given in the "tt_my_first_fpga" PDF for implementing the counter example. 

We have DE0 board along with the software. 

I followed as per the PDF, every thing is ok but at the end where we have to assign Pins, the pin number as mentioned in the example is not matching with S/W.  

In PDF, pin numbers are mentioned as ad0 , where as in the s/w in the S/W i am not viewing AD0 but i am i able to A0. 

pl. suggest the solution. 

Thanks & Regards 

M.Murali Krishna
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would check if you have selected your device correctly in the wizard.  

If you have, refer to the FPGA's datasheet for a list of the pins.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Selected the device number correctly. The deivice in DE0 board is  

Cyclone III EP3C16F484. 

"tt_my_first_fpga" in the PDF there is no option for DE0 board. but there is option for development board. As per PDF we suppose to select AD0 pin but only A0 pin is possible to select. if i select A0 pin, compiler is giving errors.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can't select the pins of another dev kit to use in your design. You need to select the pins according to your DE0 since the pins would be connected differently. 

Your DE0 datasheet should give you a list of all the pins. Change the pins according to the datasheet and don't follow the other pdf.
0 Kudos