Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12589 Discussions

Does app note AN706 apply to Arria10SoC?

DKolo
Novice

Are you able to map an HPS IP Peripheral Signals to the

FPGA fabric, such as a UART controller?

In the case of Arria10SX Dev Kit, routing the DB9 RS232 port (of the FPGA fabric) to the HPS uart controller. (in addition to the usb-to-uart port connected to the HPS; requiring a 2nd uart)

Seems I am able to choose if the signals are coming from FPGA or HPS dedicated/shared IOs in Platform designer --> HPS --> Pin Mux and Peripherals Tab.

But found a similar post which is implying this is not possible for A10SoC and requires an fpga-hps bridge with corresponding IPs in the FPGA fabric.

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00003yyGafSAE/routing-hps-gpio-to-an-led-in-fpga-region?language=en_US

Some clarification would be appreciated.

2 Replies
Fawaz_Al-Jubori
Employee

Hello sir,

Let me check on this with our internal team.

I will come back to you soon,

Thanks

0 Kudos
Fawaz_Al-Jubori
Employee

I think it is possible.

A10 devkit user guide mentions below.

u.jpg

However, HPS debug port connection depends on boot device. UART in NAND device connects to Shared I/O. UART in the other device connect to Dedicated I/O.

If you want to change this behavior, you need to change MAX V design. Please check schematics below.

g.jpg

Hope this might help.

Thanks

0 Kudos