Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12436 Discussions

Does app note AN706 apply to Arria10SoC?

DKolo
Novice

Are you able to map an HPS IP Peripheral Signals to the

FPGA fabric, such as a UART controller?

In the case of Arria10SX Dev Kit, routing the DB9 RS232 port (of the FPGA fabric) to the HPS uart controller. (in addition to the usb-to-uart port connected to the HPS; requiring a 2nd uart)

Seems I am able to choose if the signals are coming from FPGA or HPS dedicated/shared IOs in Platform designer --> HPS --> Pin Mux and Peripherals Tab.

But found a similar post which is implying this is not possible for A10SoC and requires an fpga-hps bridge with corresponding IPs in the FPGA fabric.

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00003yyGafSAE/routing-hps-gpio-to-an-led-in-fpga-region?lan...

Some clarification would be appreciated.

2 Replies
Fawaz_J_Intel
Employee

Hello sir,

Let me check on this with our internal team.

I will come back to you soon,

Thanks

Fawaz_J_Intel
Employee

I think it is possible.

A10 devkit user guide mentions below.

u.jpg

However, HPS debug port connection depends on boot device. UART in NAND device connects to Shared I/O. UART in the other device connect to Dedicated I/O.

If you want to change this behavior, you need to change MAX V design. Please check schematics below.

g.jpg

Hope this might help.

Thanks