Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

Downloading ELF Process Failed

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello There, 

I am trying to Download my simple "Hello World " Code on nios-ii but each time it says  

"Downloading ELF Process failed", i have port the nios-ii processor on board, i am using Altera ESDK Board. 

i have made little changes in processor block (Just add two-there signal as an input, which i am going to use in my C-Code as a interrupt) and compile the entire project, so till now there is no problem but when i port simple code it generate an error. 

*Please see the Attached Error Message 

Regards 

kaushal
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The first things to check when the CPU doesn't answer on JTAG are:[list][*]is the design properly constrained and does it meet all timing requirements[*]are all the clocks present and at the correct frequency (monitor the pll locked outputs)[*]is your reset signal correct, with the right polarity?[/list]What modifications did you do? Is it a custom component? Does the system work again if you remove it?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello daixiwen, 

Thanking you for reply,  

1. Yes Design Properly Constrained and meet all timing requirements 

2. Yes clocks present and at correct frequency. 

3. reset signal is also correct. 

I have add a three inputs (Start, Load and 8 bit data), coming out from different hardware module. 

i am trying to use these there input in my C-code...for holding and further forward these data in UDP format to other terminal. 

if i redesign the entire nios-2 Processor with the same configuration and port simple "hello world" there is no issue and nios-2 generate "hello World". 

Regards 

kaushal
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are those hardware modules custom components? If you just disable them in SOPC builder instead of redesigning the whole system, are you able to connect to the CPU?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Daixiwen, 

Yes , I have add Customized Port (2 single bit port and one 8 bit bus port), i have assign interrupt to first two single bit port. disabling won't help me .....and still facing elf download failed issue. 

regards 

Kaushal
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You should try to make the smallest system possible that still has the problem, by disabling as much component as possible, and then compare it with a system that works. Hopefully it will give you an indication of where the problem comes from, as I don't have any other idea to give you right now...

0 Kudos