Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Dynamic Memory Allocation in OnChip-Ram

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am looking for a possibility to dynamically allocate memory in OnChip-RAM, 

while heap is in external RAM. 

Has anyone experiences regarding this topic?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Basically no, if You're talking about malloc(). Why not to use direct addressing?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes Socrates, I'm talking about malloc(). 

The thing is, that I want to improve the LwIp-Stack and there some structures (e.g. ethernetif, pbuf) allocated dynamically. 

As a workaround I did allocate the memory statically, but I think for a better structural design it would be nicer to allocate those structures dynamically at internal RAM. 

Maybe a solution could be to reassign the heap to internal RAM, then malloc(), and then put the Heap back to external RAM. But the LwIp malloc-function saves and uses the lowest free block for allocation, which is always in external Ram. 

Sure, I know that I could write my own malloc(), but I wanted to know if someone knows an easier or more common way.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

For embedded use it is actually better to avoid malloc() - except maybe at startup. That way you don't suddenly run out of memory in some important code path.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Or suffer from memory fragmentation. In my experience you have to be VERY careful with dynamic memory allocation in embedded applications.

0 Kudos