Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

EDS Flash Programmer

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So i’m using the new Cyclone V SoC in combination with NOR flash (Micron M25P80). 

I want to program the NOR flash via USB blaster -> Jtag -> HPS -> NOR flash. Therefor there is a program called SoC EDS Command Shell version 13.1. 

When I start up the “SoC EDS Command Shell version 13.1”and type “quartus_hps.exe –c 1 –o S ”. 

-c = Cable 

-o = Operation. And the S is to read the Flash ID. 

I get the following "Error: Not able to map flash ID from flash database" (see image). I was wondering if it is possible to edit the database to support the flash device or to ignore the flash ID. 

Thank you.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a similar problem.  

Flash can not be read after the wrong programming  

It is possible to correct the mistake? 

--- Quote Start ---  

Current hardware is: USB-Blaster [USB-1] 

Found HPS at device 1 

HPS Device IDCODE: 0x4BA00477 

AHB Port is located at port 0 

APB Port is located at port 1 

Boot Info: 3.0V QSPI Flash 

Start HPS Quad SPI flash programming ... 

Initialize QSPI peripheral and flash controller ... 

Read Silicon ID of Quad SPI flash ... 

Quad SPI Flash silicon ID is 0xFFFFFFFF 

Error: Not able to map flash ID from flash database 

Error: Quartus II 32-bit Programmer was unsuccessful. 0 errors, 0 warnings 

Error: Peak virtual memory: 102 megabytes 

Error: Processing ended: Thu Sep 18 14:03:44 2014 

Error: Elapsed time: 00:00:02 

Error: Total CPU time (on all processors): 00:00:00  

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Similar problem. Need to flash Micron serial nor flash 2Gbit with ID 22ba20. Quartus_hps programmer support only 1Gbit with ID 21ba20. Anyway to change the device database, or override the device ID check?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey, 

Programming of the NOR Flash trough JTAG with the "SoC EDS Command shell" Which you can download from the altera website. 

For this you need a NOR Flash that is supported by Altera. You can find the Supported Memory Devices in => "https://www.altera.com/en_US/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_soc_eds.pdf ",on page 196. 

If you have a Supported type, But still doesn't work. Check Your "BootSel settings" You can find the different settings => "https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_US/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-v/cv_5400a.pdf " , PAge 4 

WARNING, i have bricked a NOR flash one time. I got the readback of 0xFFFFFFFF. After replacing the NOR chip (Be sure that it is a Supported Memory Devices) it worked again. 

For the 2Gbit with ID 22ba20. I had have contact with an application engineer from altera. Because, in the beginning i also used a different type (not Supported by altera).  

But i don't think they will give the source code for the EDS tool. And i also think that altera won't support other devices in the near future. So my advice would be, replace it.  

And if you want more Flash memory, Get a SLC NAND Or e.MMC NAND chip on there. 

Cheers, 

HidTec
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hey, 

Programming of the NOR Flash trough JTAG with the "SoC EDS Command shell" Which you can download from the altera website. 

For this you need a NOR Flash that is supported by Altera. You can find the Supported Memory Devices in => "https://www.altera.com/en_US/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_soc_eds.pdf ",on page 196. 

If you have a Supported type, But still doesn't work. Check Your "BootSel settings" You can find the different settings => "https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_US/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-v/cv_5400a.pdf " , PAge 4 

WARNING, i have bricked a NOR flash one time. I got the readback of 0xFFFFFFFF. After replacing the NOR chip (Be sure that it is a Supported Memory Devices) it worked again. 

For the 2Gbit with ID 22ba20. I had have contact with an application engineer from altera. Because, in the beginning i also used a different type (not Supported by altera).  

But i don't think they will give the source code for the EDS tool. And i also think that altera won't support other devices in the near future. So my advice would be, replace it.  

And if you want more Flash memory, Get a SLC NAND Or e.MMC NAND chip on there. 

Cheers, 

HidTec 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi,  

Unfortunately the device is not supported. Currently only the 1 Gbit is supported, I need the 2 Gbit.  

I have requested a service request from Altera, asking for the Quartus version where it will be supported, or a un-published option to ommit the ID check, or a patch. Will post Altera answer when they reply.  

I tried The programmer from Quartus 15.0 beta,still not supported.  

If I do not get any solution from Altera, the options are 

1Gbit device or 

Use U-Boot to program the flash from DS5 debugger (Still have DDR3 8 and 16 bit memory problem (32 bit works fine) so this is not option now U-Boot fails)  

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi,  

Unfortunately the device is not supported. Currently only the 1 Gbit is supported, I need the 2 Gbit.  

I have requested a service request from Altera, asking for the Quartus version where it will be supported, or a un-published option to ommit the ID check, or a patch. Will post Altera answer when they reply.  

I tried The programmer from Quartus 15.0 beta,still not supported.  

If I do not get any solution from Altera, the options are 

1Gbit device or 

Use U-Boot to program the flash from DS5 debugger (Still have DDR3 8 and 16 bit memory problem (32 bit works fine) so this is not option now U-Boot fails)  

Thanks 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi, did you receive any feedback from Altera on this?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, they do not currently support the 2 GBit flash device. It is also not supported in Quartus 15. They did however add it to the wish list, so i guess it will come in future. 

For now we modified U-boot, and use U-Boot as a intermediate step between SPL and our Bare Metal application to load the FPGA, and application, and it also provides functionality to Flash the 2 Gbit device. 

So in production we need a DS5 with license to load Uboot initially to flash the device. Thereafter we can used text terminal with Y Modem to flash the device. 

As soon as Altera bring out the support for the device, i will change the production programming process with cygwin cmd prompt programming options of Altera. 

Hope it helps.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

well, you may need to stick to this work around for quite some time, as if this stable enough, you don't need to change it for no reason.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I get the same error trying to flash the QSPI. It worked the first time, and the "hello world" app comes up and runs. But now I can't erase or re-flash QSPI. Someone help!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I get the same error trying to flash the QSPI. It worked the first time, and the "hello world" app comes up and runs. But now I can't erase or re-flash QSPI. Someone help! 

--- Quote End ---  

Did you try erase the qspi and redo again? I read the rocketboard there is some reset issue and precaution to take note in qspi boot up.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, i’m using my custom Cyclone V SoC(5cseba5u19i7n) board in combination with QSPI flash (Micron 512Mbit). 

I want to program the NOR flash via USB blaster with SoC EDS Command Shell version 15.0. 

When I start up the “SoC EDS Command Shell version 15.0”and type “quartus_hps.exe –c 1 –o PV ”. 

After programming done ,I get the following  

"1.send_access_data() error while accessing DP Register. 2.Debug Port Read Buffer reading failure, read_dp_buff() error while accessing AP Register.3.Failed to READ ACCESS to the Physical Reg. 4. Failed to read MPU Module Reset Register."  

I was wondering the JTAG was not nomally working. 

Thank you.
0 Kudos