Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

EP2S60F1020C4 support?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've got a Stratix II DSP dev. kit with the EP2S60F1020C4 device, but even the latest version of Quartus II, 4.2sp1, won't let me create a programming file: 

"Info: Compilation Report contains advance information. Specifications for device EP2S60F1020C4 are subject to change. Contact Altera for information on availability. No programming file will be generated." 

When might I be able to program my device? 

Thanks (in advance http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif ). 

PS - I would have done a search on this topic, but in the search "DSP and kit", both terms are fewer than four characters, so I don&#39;t get to search for them. This is a user interface tragedy. http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Does your kit really have the production version EP2S60F1020C4 device on it? I have the same kit but with the ES (Engineering Sample) device which is a bugger as the MRAMs are next to useless due to various errata). 

You are quite correct... Quartus 4.2 sp1 does not target the production EP2S60F1020C4 but it does target the ES version.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Well, I can&#39;t actually look at the die and read the part number, since the heat sink was installed when I got it, but C:\altera\kits\StratixII_DSP_Kit-v1.0.0\Docs\ds_StratixII_dsp_bd.pdf describes "the features of the EP2S60F1020C4 device", so I assumed that&#39;s what I&#39;ve got. Here&#39;s another dumb question: how can I actually tell what device I have sitting here on my desk? 

I guess there&#39;s no reason I can&#39;t try synthesizing for the ES device in the meantime.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The ES and non-ES parts are not-necessarily compatible! Be careful there. You can determine which device type you are working with by launching Quartus and opening the prorammer. Hook up your download cable & do JTAG chain detect; you should then see the device type.

0 Kudos