Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

EPCS Filesystem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't think this has been done, but has anyone looked into getting a EPCS driver in uClinux for a filesysteM? I was thinking of doing this as it didn't seem too hard, but it would be my first attempt at driver work, so I thought I would get some feedback first. I have >4 Megs free on my EPCS device, and it would be cool if I could get a FS on it.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I didn't see the EPCS driver. too.  

Maybe you can add it to driver/mtd/chips dir.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That''s what I was thinking. One thing that came to mind was Altera doesn't let you directly access the EPCS device without using their HAL calls. Is it still possible to make a kernel driver using these calls? 

J
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi jdhar, 

> has anyone looked into getting a EPCS driver in uClinux for a filesysteM? 

It has been on my todo list for a while ... and is quickly coming to a head. 

> Altera doesn't let you directly access the EPCS device without using their 

> HAL calls. Is it still possible to make a kernel driver using these calls? 

It's possible ... but not necessary. u-boot has a fairly complete set of epcs access 

routines you can use as a starting point. 

I'm waiting for some hardware at the moment ... once it arrives I'll be able to 

help with this effort. Right now, I don't have any boards with a large enough 

device to be useful. 

Regards, 

--Scott
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would be willing to put some time into this, especially knowing that there are some people here who could help me out. 

I was actually just looking at the src code for all the epcs routines, and they are in fact just SPI calls, which translate to IORD/IOWRs... so I was going to figure out how to get those in uclinux. I guess the simple way is just to use pointers since the address space is all available. 

On a higher level, I figure taking a simple MTD device and stripping it down should be simple enough - especially since there much simpler write/erase algorithms involved with the EPCS (at least compared to CFI for eg.) 

If you decide to get around to it quicker than I however, I do have plenty of boards available to test any drivers on.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can also take the sources from 

altera/kits/nios2/components/altera_avalon_epcs_flash_controller/sdk or HAL
0 Kudos