Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Easy examples to use the hps-2-fpga bridge (not the lightweight one)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

I'm looking for basic examples and tutorials of hps-2-fpga bridge implementation, ideally short, showing all config that should be done for the bridge to work.  

My board is de0-nano-SoC, cyclone V.  

I looked at : https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/design-examples/soc/fpga-to-hps-bridges-design-example.html but... too complex for my level now.  

Any example welcome, I know it is often needed to browse several examples to get all information needed.  

Thanks a lot !  

Franck. 

Background of the request: 

After many evening of work, I succeeded to get my DE0-nano-SOC boot and have a first communication with lw-hps-2-fpga bridge. Great !  

Also, found packages to get image reading/processing in python. Works well also.  

End goal is to drive a 64x32 led matrix, and be able to display jpeg images on it.  

Now I would like to test/use/evaluate the hps-2-fpga bridge (not the lightweight one) to transfer images from hps to fpga.  

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

Found it back: https://digibird1.wordpress.com/playing-with-the-cyclone-v-soc-system-de0-nano-soc-kitatlas-soc, written by Daniel Pelikan 

This example gives startup instructions for HPS-2-FGPA, LW HPS-2-FPGA, DMA. A very good one.  

Also, no issue to make it running on the board. 

Daniel, thanks you so much for this awesome example, exactly what I was looking for ! You saved me weeks of work to find all this ! :D 

Franck
0 Kudos
PShar30
Novice

hi..I am also struggling to access internal memory from HPS using python. ? arre u now able to access memory..?

0 Kudos