Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

Easy examples to use the hps-2-fpga bridge (not the lightweight one)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

I'm looking for basic examples and tutorials of hps-2-fpga bridge implementation, ideally short, showing all config that should be done for the bridge to work.  

My board is de0-nano-SoC, cyclone V.  

I looked at : https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/design-examples/soc/fpga-to-hps-bridges-design-exam... but... too complex for my level now.  

Any example welcome, I know it is often needed to browse several examples to get all information needed.  

Thanks a lot !  

Franck. 

Background of the request: 

After many evening of work, I succeeded to get my DE0-nano-SOC boot and have a first communication with lw-hps-2-fpga bridge. Great !  

Also, found packages to get image reading/processing in python. Works well also.  

End goal is to drive a 64x32 led matrix, and be able to display jpeg images on it.  

Now I would like to test/use/evaluate the hps-2-fpga bridge (not the lightweight one) to transfer images from hps to fpga.  

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,  

Found it back: https://digibird1.wordpress.com/playing-with-the-cyclone-v-soc-system-de0-nano-soc-kitatlas-soc, written by Daniel Pelikan 

This example gives startup instructions for HPS-2-FGPA, LW HPS-2-FPGA, DMA. A very good one.  

Also, no issue to make it running on the board. 

Daniel, thanks you so much for this awesome example, exactly what I was looking for ! You saved me weeks of work to find all this ! :D 

Franck
PShar30
Novice

hi..I am also struggling to access internal memory from HPS using python. ? arre u now able to access memory..?