Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

Eclipse 20.1 Intermittent Freezing

James_B
New Contributor II

Over the span of a two week period since installing Eclipse 20.1, it freezes intermittently which requires a shutdown of the software. 

The typical Java message that it has frozen does not appear, however, the software will not respond. 

I'm running Windows 10 Pro Build 19043 and Quartus 20.1 Prime Pro Standard edition with Eclipse 20.1, also WSL is Ubuntu 18.04. 

Is the sentiment that it is better to run Eclipse 20.1 on Linux versus Windows? Thanks. James

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @James_B,

Thank you for posting in Intel community forum and hope all is well.
Sorry to hear from the experiences faced, does any previous version of quartus are having a similar issues?
What are the WSL version installed on the environment?
What stage is the freezing occurring? In the start of the Nios II SBT? Or upon creating a Nios II project?

From my experiences eclipse might required more steps to setup, but if setup correctly it should work the same in Linux.
I do have version 20.1 standard in my current machine (Windows 10) and it seems good.

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @James_B,

Just following up on the issues, by any chances did you managed to look into the previous clarification?
Hope to hear from you soon.

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos
James_B
New Contributor II

It appears that Eclipse is running "okay" on Windows, specifically meaning I have about one crash per day. Today's issues were related to the actual graphics of the Eclipse GUI. Other issues are not being able to program a device unless the programmer is open in Quartus BEFORE starting Eclipse. 

Overall, until I can get Eclipse running on native Ubuntu, dealing with the intermittent crashes will have to work. 

0 Kudos