Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12590 Discussions

Eclipse not starting from inside quartus 19.1

GHelb
Novice

The command Tools->NIOS II Software Build Tools for eclipse is not working in 19.1 lite. eclipse is installed and the plugins were extracted. If I invoke it from the command line the options to create NIOS projects exist.

Trying to start it from inside Quartus does nothing.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
GHelb
Novice

Update: It's not working in 18.1, and it *stopped* working in 17.1.

It used to work in 17.1 - it no longer does. I'm guessing a Java update broke things?

0 Kudos
Ahmed_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

In 19.1 and above you must install the NIOS II SBT after getting the Quartus installed.

Please see the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/altera-www/global/en_us/index/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/tools/2019/why-does-the-nios--ii-not-installed-after-full-installation-of-t.html

For 18.1 and 17.1 it should be working fine, Can you share any error you are facing while invoking the NIOS II SBT?

Regards,

0 Kudos
GHelb
Novice

If you read the original message: the SBT was already installed.

Your telling me to do something that I have already done.

I have shared the error(s) - when I try to start nios2-eclipse I get the message "Segmentation Violation - Core Dumped". That is the only message.

I seems that the testing was done using WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux). This is not a valid test of a Linux application. 

0 Kudos
jra00
Beginner

i have the same problem in linux mint.

From version 18, nios2-eclipse gives "segmentation fault" error.

any fix?

thanx

0 Kudos
GHelb
Novice

Sadly, Intel has not addressed these defects. Nothing to be found in any tool updates.

For version 18.x there are a number of things to try:

1) Install the WSL package.

2) Get a fresh copy of eclipse mars.2 and apply the NIOS changes

3) Write a shell script that sets the QUARTUS environment and starts eclipse.

4) Go back to version 17.x

In version 19.1 the Platform Designer is broken. No need for Build Tools if one can't make a platform.

I have pointed out that the NIOS additions to eclipse should be distributed as an install-able package. Installing by writing over a collection of files is not the right way to do it.

Even when it does start it doesn't work properly. Several eclipse commands error-abort when you try to use them.

Good Luck!

0 Kudos