Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Elf file error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi , 

I am trying to run / debug my tse_tutorial ( triple speed ethernet ) in Eclipse . I did successful compile of Hw and also sw and when i tried to launch the appl from eclipse i got an error that "Launching Failed " . see my screen shot attached and also my .c file . 

Has anyone encountered such an error , how did you solved it ?? 

Regards ,
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

#include <altera_avalon_sgdma.h> # include <altera_avalon_sgdma_descriptor.h> # include <altera_avalon_sgdma_regs.h> # include "sys/alt_stdio.h" # include "sys/alt_irq.h" # include <unistd.h> # include "stdio.h" # include "stdlib.h" // Function Prototypes void rx_ethernet_isr (void *context); // Global Variables unsigned int text_length; // Create a transmit frame unsigned char tx_frame = { 0x00,0x00, // for 32-bit alignment 0xFF,0xFF,0xFF,0xFF,0xFF,0xFF, // destination address (broadcast) 0x01,0x60,0x6E,0x11,0x02,0x0F, // source address 0x00,0x2E, // length or type of the payload data '\0' // payload data (ended with termination character) }; // Create a receive frame unsigned char rx_frame = { 0 }; // Create sgdma transmit and receive devices alt_sgdma_dev * sgdma_tx_dev; alt_sgdma_dev * sgdma_rx_dev; // Allocate descriptors in the descriptor_memory (onchip memory) alt_sgdma_descriptor tx_descriptor __attribute__ (( section ( ".descriptor_memory" ))); alt_sgdma_descriptor tx_descriptor_end __attribute__ (( section ( ".descriptor_memory" ))); alt_sgdma_descriptor rx_descriptor __attribute__ (( section ( ".descriptor_memory" ))); alt_sgdma_descriptor rx_descriptor_end __attribute__ (( section ( ".descriptor_memory" ))); /******************************************************************************** * This program demonstrates use of the Ethernet in the DE2-115 board. * * It performs the following: * 1. Records input text and transmits the text via Ethernet after Enter is * pressed * 2. Displays text received via Ethernet frame on the JTAG UART ********************************************************************************/ int main(void) { // Open the sgdma transmit device sgdma_tx_dev = alt_avalon_sgdma_open ("/dev/sgdma_tx"); if (sgdma_tx_dev == NULL) { alt_printf ("Error: could not open scatter-gather dma transmit device\n"); return -1; } else alt_printf ("Opened scatter-gather dma transmit device\n"); // Open the sgdma receive device sgdma_rx_dev = alt_avalon_sgdma_open ("/dev/sgdma_rx"); if (sgdma_rx_dev == NULL) { alt_printf ("Error: could not open scatter-gather dma receive device\n"); return -1; } else alt_printf ("Opened scatter-gather dma receive device\n"); // Set interrupts for the sgdma receive device alt_avalon_sgdma_register_callback( sgdma_rx_dev, (alt_avalon_sgdma_callback) rx_ethernet_isr, 0x00000014, NULL ); // Create sgdma receive descriptor alt_avalon_sgdma_construct_stream_to_mem_desc( &rx_descriptor, &rx_descriptor_end, rx_frame, 0, 0 ); // Set up non-blocking transfer of sgdma receive descriptor alt_avalon_sgdma_do_async_transfer( sgdma_rx_dev, &rx_descriptor ); // Triple-speed Ethernet MegaCore base address volatile int * tse = (int *) 0x00102000; // Initialize the MAC address *(tse + 3) = 0x116E6001; *(tse + 4) = 0x00000F02; // Specify the addresses of the PHY devices to be accessed through MDIO interface *(tse + 0x0F) = 0x10; *(tse + 0x10) = 0x11; // Write to register 20 of the PHY chip for Ethernet port 0 to set up line loopback *(tse + 0x94) = 0x4000; // Write to register 16 of the PHY chip for Ethernet port 1 to enable automatic crossover for all modes *(tse + 0xB0) = *(tse + 0xB0) | 0x0060; // Write to register 20 of the PHY chip for Ethernet port 2 to set up delay for input/output clk *(tse + 0xB4) = *(tse + 0xB4) | 0x0082; // Software reset the second PHY chip and wait *(tse + 0xA0) = *(tse + 0xA0) | 0x8000; while ( *(tse + 0xA0) & 0x8000 ) ; // Enable read and write transfers, gigabit Ethernet operation, and CRC forwarding *(tse + 2) = *(tse + 2) | 0x0000004B; alt_printf( "send> " ); text_length = 0; while (1) { char new_char; tx_frame = '\0'; // Add new typed characters to the transmit frame until the user types the return character while ( (new_char = alt_getchar()) != '\n' ) { if (new_char == 0x08 && text_length > 0) { // Check if character is a backspace and if there is anything to delete alt_printf( "%c", new_char ); text_length--; // Maintain the terminal character after the text tx_frame = '\0'; } else if (text_length < 45) { // Check if there is still room in the frame for another character alt_printf( "%c", new_char ); // Add the new character to the output text tx_frame = new_char; text_length++; // Maintain the terminal character after the text tx_frame = '\0'; } } alt_printf( "\nsend> " ); text_length = 0; // Create transmit sgdma descriptor alt_avalon_sgdma_construct_mem_to_stream_desc( &tx_descriptor, &tx_descriptor_end, tx_frame, 62, 0, 1, 1, 0 ); // Set up non-blocking transfer of sgdma transmit descriptor alt_avalon_sgdma_do_async_transfer( sgdma_tx_dev, &tx_descriptor ); // Wait until transmit descriptor transfer is complete while (alt_avalon_sgdma_check_descriptor_status(&tx_descriptor) != 0) ; } return 0; } /**************************************************************************************** * Subroutine to read incoming Ethernet frames ****************************************************************************************/ void rx_ethernet_isr (void *context) { int i; // Wait until receive descriptor transfer is complete while (alt_avalon_sgdma_check_descriptor_status(&rx_descriptor) != 0) ; // Clear input line before writing for (i = 0; i < (6 + text_length); i++) { alt_printf( "%c", 0x08 ); // 0x08 --> backspace } // Output received text alt_printf( "receive> %s\n", rx_frame + 16 ); // Reprint current input line after the output alt_printf( "send> %s", tx_frame + 16 ); // Create new receive sgdma descriptor alt_avalon_sgdma_construct_stream_to_mem_desc( &rx_descriptor, &rx_descriptor_end, rx_frame, 0, 0 ); // Set up non-blocking transfer of sgdma receive descriptor alt_avalon_sgdma_do_async_transfer( sgdma_rx_dev, &rx_descriptor ); }

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, did you match this example with the default version(example platform) of the quartus and soc eds, and it's running up before?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi, did you match this example with the default version(example platform) of the quartus and soc eds, and it's running up before? 

--- Quote End ---  

The example was made in the older version , i designed the whole SOPC system again in ver 13.0 and compiled it without any errors and downloaded it and then started making its software in Eclipse ver 13.0 as well . This is when i make a blank project and import this .C file which also compiles without errors and when i try to run i get this error ??? 

any clues ????
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have other SOPC projects that work fine and i can launch them from within Eclipse , but i dont understand this error .  

See quartus project attached , i am using ver 13.0