Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Epcs16si8n eol

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Guys 

I see that EPCS16SI8N is being replaced by EPCQ16ASI8N. My boards are using a Cyclone III device so I am still using Quartus 13. Do you know if the new replacement part will work as a direct substitute and in Quartus 13? 

PDN1708 seems to say it is a direct substitute but has a sentence that says 

"Support for alternative devices will be included in version 17.1 of Quartus Prime" which I can't use as cyclone III is not supported above Quartus 13 

Thanks for any help
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 3LionsCT, 

the following application note can be helpful, AN822: Intel® Configuration Device Migration Guideline, https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/an/an822.pdf 

Regards, 

Martin
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Martin, 

Thanks for the reply it was very useful. I learned that I will have to disable the EPCS ID check when I convert the programming file to .POF. However what isn't obvious to me is what configuration device do I target? The pull down menu in Q13 doesn't have an option for EPCQA16. Do I leave the target as EPCS16 or EPCQ16? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I assume the EPCS16 option can be appropriate because of the same dummy cycle count for EPCS16 and EPCQ16A. There is a sentence in Migration Considerations/Operation Commands section in the mentioned AN822: 

EPCS—the dummy clock is fixed at 8 for fast read, therefore you do not have to regenerate the programming files if all other conditions are met. 

FYI: Quartus version of 17.1 supports the mentioned EPCQ16A device. 

Regards, 

Martin
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Thanks again Martin. I guess I will have to get a EPCQ16A device and give it a go 

BTW: I would love to use 17.1 but it does not support Cyclone III devices :-( 

Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

according to my previous experience a file formatting tool such as the Convert Programming File in Quartus system supports device families longer than the whole Quartus design system. I was able to load a SOF file for Cyclone III into the Convert Programming File of the Quartus 17.1 (File menu) and create a POF file for an EPCQA device. Perhaps this could be a way for you as well. 

Regards, 

Martin
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Martin, 

Now that is a really smart idea. I like it :-) 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can anyone confirm that a EPCQ32ASI8N can be a compatible drop in replacement for a EPCS16SI8N for a Cyclone EP3C25? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Can anyone confirm that a EPCQ32ASI8N can be a compatible drop in replacement for a EPCS16SI8N for a Cyclone EP3C25? 

Thanks! 

--- Quote End ---  

Boffah, 

I can confirm that a EPCQ16ASI8N is a direct replacement for a EPCS16SI and it programs a EP3C16 fine. I didn't even need to regenerate the programming file 

Regards
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Specifically the EPCQ 32, is it direct compatible with the 16? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos