Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Epcs16si8n eol

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Guys 

I see that EPCS16SI8N is being replaced by EPCQ16ASI8N. My boards are using a Cyclone III device so I am still using Quartus 13. Do you know if the new replacement part will work as a direct substitute and in Quartus 13? 

PDN1708 seems to say it is a direct substitute but has a sentence that says 

"Support for alternative devices will be included in version 17.1 of Quartus Prime" which I can't use as cyclone III is not supported above Quartus 13 

Thanks for any help
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 3LionsCT, 

the following application note can be helpful, AN822: Intel® Configuration Device Migration Guideline, https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/an/an822.pdf 

Regards, 

Martin
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Martin, 

Thanks for the reply it was very useful. I learned that I will have to disable the EPCS ID check when I convert the programming file to .POF. However what isn't obvious to me is what configuration device do I target? The pull down menu in Q13 doesn't have an option for EPCQA16. Do I leave the target as EPCS16 or EPCQ16? 

Thanks
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I assume the EPCS16 option can be appropriate because of the same dummy cycle count for EPCS16 and EPCQ16A. There is a sentence in Migration Considerations/Operation Commands section in the mentioned AN822: 

EPCS—the dummy clock is fixed at 8 for fast read, therefore you do not have to regenerate the programming files if all other conditions are met. 

FYI: Quartus version of 17.1 supports the mentioned EPCQ16A device. 

Regards, 

Martin
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

Thanks again Martin. I guess I will have to get a EPCQ16A device and give it a go 

BTW: I would love to use 17.1 but it does not support Cyclone III devices :-( 

Regards
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

according to my previous experience a file formatting tool such as the Convert Programming File in Quartus system supports device families longer than the whole Quartus design system. I was able to load a SOF file for Cyclone III into the Convert Programming File of the Quartus 17.1 (File menu) and create a POF file for an EPCQA device. Perhaps this could be a way for you as well. 

Regards, 

Martin
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Martin, 

Now that is a really smart idea. I like it :-) 

Thanks
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Can anyone confirm that a EPCQ32ASI8N can be a compatible drop in replacement for a EPCS16SI8N for a Cyclone EP3C25? 

Thanks!
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Can anyone confirm that a EPCQ32ASI8N can be a compatible drop in replacement for a EPCS16SI8N for a Cyclone EP3C25? 

Thanks! 

--- Quote End ---  

Boffah, 

I can confirm that a EPCQ16ASI8N is a direct replacement for a EPCS16SI and it programs a EP3C16 fine. I didn't even need to regenerate the programming file 

Regards
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Specifically the EPCQ 32, is it direct compatible with the 16? 

Thanks!