Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

Error in NIOS Dev Kit, Reference Manual ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

I'm using Cyclone Development Board. I think that there is an errror in "Reference Manual" for that board. On figure 1-6 (page 1-13) pinout for connection betwen Cyclone and expansion connector J12 is not correct. I'm using MNL-N2DEVLBDCYC-1.1 manual. 

In my opinion, it should be: 

1- GND 

3- V20 

5- J19 

7- H14 

9- J17 

11-K15 

13-V18 

2- +5V 

4- J15 

6- J20 

8- J14 

10-J18 

12-W18 

14-V19 

I didn't find any aswer on Altera's web site. Could someone check it ???  

Cheers 

Michal
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey Michal; 

Your pinouts are almost correct with just one change pin 3 should be U20 not V20 so the correct pinout is: 

1- GND 

3- U20 

5- J19 

7- H14 

9- J17 

11-K15 

13-V18 

2- +5V 

4- J15 

6- J20 

8- J14 

10-J18 

12-W18 

14-V19 

I am not sure how this got by us for so long but thanks for bringing it to my attention. Since that one is wrong I started checking the figure 1-5 and it looks wrong too. I will post once I have worked out the pinout for this one as well. 

Thanks,
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ohmy.gif Yikes! 

The last release of the Cyclone board manual somehow included incorrect pinout information for the PROTO1 header. We just identified the issue and will have a corrected version posted to the web ASAP. 

Note that this is not just an issue with J12. J11, J12, and J13 are all affected. I believe the PROTO2 header pinouts are unaffected, and the published pins are correct. You can use PROTO2 to get your work done.  

I will update this thread when the updated document hits the web. Thanks for pointing out this issue with Altera documentation.  

Matthew
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The Nios Development Board, Cyclone Edition Reference Manual is now updated on the Altera web site.  

Regards, 

Matthew
0 Kudos