Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12590 Discussions

Error to add HEX file in Convert Program File tool - 2

TRoa
New Contributor I

I have a question very similar to the one discussed in the following thread:

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00003yyTIESA2/error-to-add-hex-file-in-convert-program-file-tool?language=en_US

The problem is that there no is no such option as: options ->memory editor ->read or write hexadecimal files (.hex) using byte addressing (intel format)

I am using Quartus 16.1. I am attaching the screen shot of my Quartus 16.1. It may be seen clearly that there is no such option available. Is there any alternative to that?

Unbenannt11.png

11 Replies
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

First open your/new hex file in Quartus.

After that you can see the memory editor options.

Hex file needed to be opened in Quartus to see the option.

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance.

Best Regards,

Anand Raj Shankar

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)

TRoa
New Contributor I

Hi Anand,

Indeed, you are right. As soon as I opened the Hex file, that option appeared. Thank you for that.

But the problem is : the jic file so created is not working/ the board is not working as intended(as before). Here is the procedure that I am following, please correct me if I am wrong:

Generated NIOS system integrated, compiled generated sof file. Programmed board using this sof file. Made project in EDS and after building ran the project on board as NIOS Hardware. The programmed worked perfectly as intended.

Then I generated jic file using only sof file, downloaded it on flash and again from EDS, ran the program as NIOS II hardware, worked fine.

Then I generate HEX file using EDS and then opened that file in Quartus and enabled the option from option -> memory editor ->turned on read or write hexadecimal files (.hex) using byte addressing (intel format)

Then saved hex with new name and then went back to Quartus to generated the jic file. Gave old sof file and newly generated hex file and generated a new jic file. Then programmed flash using this new .jic file. Programming went ok, but now the board is not working as intended(as it was working with same source, different file formats) as before.

What may be the problem?

I also played with the Number of words options in memory editor but no use. What may have went wrong?

Cheers and deep regards

TRoa

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Troa,

Good to know,

I think you would have selected wrong hex file for the conversion.Check again.

project directory\software\<projectname>\mem_init\ xxx.hex

You must select hex file with name something like PERIPHERALS or EPCQ.

Let me know if this has helped resolve the issue you are facing or if you need any further assistance.

Best Regards,

Anand Raj Shankar

0 Kudos
TRoa
New Contributor I

Hi Anand,

Thank you for your help.

Yes you are right. I am taking files from the folders you just mentioned. I also deleted all previously generated files and regenerated the files. Still not working.

All things are working fine otherwise(when I am using sof and elf files of the same project).

Cheers and deep regards

TRoa

0 Kudos
TRoa
New Contributor I

Is there any other method through which I can combine both files for FPGA and for Flash into one file, and program my hardware?

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I can you attach hex file in directory and conversion image and .map file?

Their may be two or more hex file we need to select appropriate one with name something like PERIPHERALS or EPCQ.

Create .jic​ file and check.

You should verify that the generated .map file has Page_0 at a start address of 0x0, and the hex file at a start address 1 after the end address of Page_0.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd10132010_126.html

Best Regards,

Anand Raj Shankar

0 Kudos
TRoa
New Contributor I

Thank you sir. Again I followed the procedure in the above post. Everything went fine, except the last created jic file, upon downloading, the circuit was not working.

Btw, the addresses in hex file are starting at zero. Please correct me I am wrong. i also adopted the procedure to generate (through save as method in memory editor), any hex file, but that generated file is also starting at address number 0(zero).

I generated files (hex) with specific names through command line. I am sure that I am picking the right files

When I am trying to attach files here, "answer" button gets deactivated.

Is there any way I can share files with you?

Best and deep regards

TRoa

0 Kudos
Ftiglius
Beginner

Good morning sirs! Excuse me, but I could have a similar problem..

I attempt to load my EPCQ64 flash on Cyclon V Soc based pcb.

I try to follow strictly BOOT COPIER METHOD, to obtain single JIC file with Flash loader, SOF and HEX (as per https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/iga1446487888057.html#lro1432740789557)

I use an external tested SDRAM instad on chip ram memory, but when use Jtag it runs fine!

Ok, All softwares works correctly separately (By byteblaster the POF starts FPGA, and with Jtag Nios App runs easily)

Main problem is to know reset vector offset for Nios: I cannot know what is SOF size to load, and so I cannot know WHERE start my Bootcopier+Nios HEX application .... I tried to set this offset at half of my 64Mbit flash size to be sure about no ovelap

try_boot_copier.jpg but system cannot boot after power on...

Have you meet similar issue?

Thanks to everyone!

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi ​TRoa,

Please .zip the files and attach, sorry for inconvenience.

do include map file.

Hi ftiglius,

Yes, you have correct configurations.

Are you using hex file with name EPCQ_CONTROLLER_xxxx.hex?

can you also the .map file.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
TRoa
New Contributor I

Hello Anand,

Here is the whole project attached. Please note that I have generated many many files, but files in question are with the following names:

1) 13th.jic

2) current_hex.hex

3) NIOS_II_lab.sof

4) 13th.map

Let me know if any further information is also required.

Regards

TRoa

0 Kudos
Ftiglius
Beginner

HI, Anand! Thanks! I confirm you that I have EPCQ_CONTROLLER_xxxx.hex file

After JIC file configuraion , FPGA starts correctly but Nios fails booting. Attached there is map file. To create Hex, I used Boot in Place istructions from edh_ed_handook, section 5.2.3.3.

I use external SDRAM, when I develop my app it runs all on SDRAM and from JTAG all its ok.....

0 Kudos