Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12600 Discussions

Error while trying to program using HPS flash programmer

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am trying to program the binary file using HPS flash programmer for Altera Cyclone V. 

I had done a blank check operation using the command "quartus_hps -c 1 -ob". 

But an error is thrown as 

/*--------------*/ 

Current hardware is: USB-BlasterII [USB-1] 

Found HPS at device 1 

HPS Device IDCODE: 0x4BA00477 

AHB Port is located at port 0 

APB Port is located at port 1 

Double check device identification ... 

error: bsel (4) is neither from nand nor qspi, set the correct bsel and powercyc 

le your board 

error: quartus ii 64-bit programmer was unsuccessful. 0 errors, 0 warnings 

error: peak virtual memory: 115 megabytes 

error: processing ended: tue jun 16 08:12:52 2015 

error: elapsed time: 00:00:01 

error: total cpu time (on all processors): 00:00:00 

/*--------------------*/
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You need to set the BSEL (boot select) pins so that the board can be initialized. See the Altera programmer docs for details. If this is a dev board, the users manual should also have details on setting them.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi , 

Thanks for the suggestion, 

I had a new query, 

what all type of binary file can be programmed using hps software??.  

In the document they had mentioned that HPS software can program "HPS executable files"," FPGA configration data" and they had mentioned other arbitrary data files. 

I need to program a s-record binary file or .fld file. Whether it is possible to program srecord or fld file.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I tried to program an s-record file, using HPS software. But the data stored in the memory are different.  

I think that HPS software wont support other binary formats like s-rec, hex etc.. It will program only Preloader image to QSPI flash, 

Could you please guide to covert the binary formats to pre-loader image file format..
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I converted the S-record file to Raw binary file using Srec_cat.exe. Now I could able to program the raw binary file to Qspi flash memory using quartus_hps.exe 

But I has a doubt, After programming the binary file, whether the program loaded in the flash memory starts running or we have to do any reset ..
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hai 

How to use --boot option in quartus_hps.exe..?
0 Kudos