Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12435 Discussions

Ethernet and Throughput Efficiency

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have DE3 board with ETHERNET-HSMC CARD and I successes to porting udpofflaod example from alterawiki.  

I face problem with throughput efficiency which is unacceptable for me, and I don't know if the problem from netwrok card on PC or on DE3 or there is missing configuration. 

The problem is:  

The number of packet/second is not change when payload size in ethernet frame change. for example: 

if I use maximum payload size 1500 byte, then: 81274.382 packet/second, throughput efficiency 95% (OK) 

if I use minimum payload size 46 byte, then: 81274.382 packet/second, throughput efficiency 4% (NOT OK) 

packet/second is not change and I see that on Wireshark software.  

The problem in throughput efficiency which is less than expected calculation, because the packet rate is the same. expected caluclation:  

if I use minimum payload size 46 byte, then: 1488095.238 packet/second, throughput efficiency 20% (OK) 

0 Kudos
0 Replies