Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12603 Discussions

Ethernet not work when nios board updated to Nios2

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have bought a nios board from Altera with cyclone 1c20. The board works fine under nios1. But when i update the board from nios1 to nios 2 using factory_recovery file, the ethernet doesn't work, other components including LCD,LED,UART works well. What should i do to solve this problem?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

what exactly doesn't work. 

We test the web stuff on all the default factory designs. 

Please tell us the steps you follow and what is the incorrect behaviour.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear Kerri,  

My board serial no is ASJ030401865, I update it using following steps: 

1. Apply power to NIOS board, using JTAG to config 1c20 with restore_cyclone_1c20.sof 

2. Open a Nios II SDK Shell, and change directory to the factory_recovery 

3. Run the flash-restoration script: ./restore_my_flash 

4. Following the script¡¯s instruction, 

5. After program the flash memory, using JTAG to reprogram EPM7128AE with config_controller.pof 

6. Repower NIOS board, And the first line of LCD shows NIOS II , the second line roll a message of http server . 

Connect one end of the RJ45 cable to the RJ1 , Connect the other end to hub, both LED in RJ1 are off. ( When in NIOS I , link LED is on, and the other LED is blinking). 

Best Regards. 

writer
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello writer, 

What about the LED of the hub? Is this one also off? If yes the following problems with your hardware are very likely: 

1. The port of the hub does not work correctly. Try to change the port. 

2. The Ethernet cable is faulty or the wrong (possible crossed). Try to use another cable. 

3. The hardware of the board isn’t initialized correctly. Normally not possible with the factory settings. Perhaps a damaged board. 

In the past I had a problem with a notebook and a crossed cable. The board wasn’t powered up when starting the notebook. To save power the notebook verified that there is no Ethernet hardware installed (installed yes but not powered up) so the notebook switched the complete Ethernet hardware off. All worked fine when powering up the board before the notebook.  

Bye, 

niosIIuser
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,niosIIuser 

The Ethernet cable and the hub are OK. Because when I program the flash memory of the board with NIOS1 default file, the ethernet works fine using the same ethernet cable and hub.  

Regards. 

writer
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think this is a bug that we fixed i then next release (coming to your home soon... can't say when). We found that this was usually so,lved by using a hub, which it soulds like you are using. 

We also found that if you run the windows updates and get the critical updates all installed it works also. 

What OS are you on? 

Email me off line if updating windows doesn't help. I can try to get you a new file. 

khallbec@altera.com
0 Kudos