Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12409 Discussions

Ethernet to UART Converter NIOS - HAL or MicroC?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello all, 

I've done a fair bit of simple C coding on Microcontrollers (mostly Atmel) and a bunch of VHDL coding, but not much SOC, so I'm a bit new to NIOS. I've implemented a simple UART with a FIFO that is working, but I'd like to turn it into an Ethernet to UART converter using the TSE_MAC module with SGDMA's. My question is, what is the right approach for the OS? Can I stick with a simple HAL or is there a major benefit in using MicroC/OSII? I see a lot of sample code on MicroC (simple socket server), but I'm pretty lost when it comes to coding for that OS. The HAL seems manageable for me (reading & writing registers is pretty straightforward), but I'm not sure if it's wise to implement this system in this way.  

Eventually I would like to take this design and add additional interfaces to it, so ethernet could control discrete I/O's and other serial interfaces. Which would be better as the system grows? 

Thanks for the insight.
0 Kudos
0 Replies