Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
12455 Discussions

FPGA Bridge enabled, but signal tap shows data is zeros

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks in Advanced. 

Previously I have done the same thing on a Macnica Sodia board but used the FPGA DDR memory to do the same thing -- so I HAVE VERIFIED that my firmware works as advertised. 

Currently - I want to use HPS DDR to reduce the DDR chips needed for our custom PCB so ... I am  

working on a Macnica Helio board took the Q14.1 Golden Design and added my IPs then - I have used Q17.1 bsp-editor and associated commands to generate the u-boot and preloader. 

If necessary I can provide those instructions. 

I am using kernel 4.1.33-ltsi with some extra features enabled.  

At first my *.dtb file was not correctly resetting the bridge, but subsequently I changed the *.dtb (and from another post I matched it to the *.dtb of the kernel). 

AND I can see during boot 

[ 2.272449] fpga_manager fpga0: Altera SOCFPGA FPGA Manager registered 

[ 2.279599] altera_hps2fpga_bridge sopc@0:fpgabridge@0: fpga bridge [hps2fpga] registered 

[ 2.288011] altera_hps2fpga_bridge sopc@0:fpgabridge@1: fpga bridge [lwhps2fpga] registered 

[ 2.296481] altera_hps2fpga_bridge sopc@0:fpgabridge@2: fpga bridge [fpga2hps] registered 

And I can see everything in /sys/class/fpga-bridge/ 

I HAVE SIGNAL TAP SET UP TO SEE THE avs and avm signals --> 

I have a device driver that has a kernel buffer of known data and I give the firmware that start address to read from BUT I can see all the correct bus signals but the data read from the address IS NOT THE EXPECTED DATA IT IS ZERO !!!  

What am I missing?  

IS MY KERNEL NOT IN SYNC??  

Also, how do I know the address of fpgabridge@0, @1, @2 - to verify that they match properly (it used to be at boot you saw the actual addresses). 

Any help/ideas will be greatly appreciated !!!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

SOLVED !!!!! 

I switched my allocation of the memory buffers to: 

static char * dmakbuf1; "kbuf" 

static char * dmakbuf2; 

static dma_addr_t handle; 

static dma_addr_t handle2; 

static size_t size = (1024 * PAGE_SIZE); 

dmakbuf1 = dma_alloc_coherent(NULL, size, &handle, GFP_KERNEL); 

if ( dmakbuf1 == NULL ) printk( KERN_ALERT "dma_alloc_coherent FAILED !!!! BUF1 \n" ); 

dmakbuf2 = dma_alloc_coherent(NULL, size, &handle2, GFP_KERNEL); 

if ( dmakbuf2 == NULL ) printk( KERN_ALERT "dma_alloc_coherent FAILED !!!! BUF2 \n" ); 

THE RETURN VALUES == "handle" the physical address is what I give to the FIRMWARE 

and the "dmakbuf" is what the user space code needs (NO ioremap) 

Hope this helps someone else.